Chapter 75.2

This was something Xu Xiang Rong accidentally revealed to him yesterday. His tone seemed a little apologetic as though the Chengen Marquis Estate was somehow involved. Yan Ting didn't ask too many questions and acted like he was already aware. Xu Xiang Rong thus felt this person wasn't simple and became even more intimate with Yan Ting.

Of course, this was going off topic.

The old madam looked at her son doubtfully. "How do you know?"

This mom of his had an annoying habit: she spoke too much. Yan Ting was never one to speak much. Often times, if it wasn't for the sake of various goals, he wasn't actually willing to speak. Perhaps he had said too many things he didn't mean. He remained very taciturn when he didn't need to respond.

Yan Ting stood up. "You don't have to worry about this matter. Just take care of your health properly."

The old madam thought her son definitely got the news from Senior Concubine Xu's side. Thinking of her influence, she couldn't help but say: "Is it possible to keep his position? Your uncle has finally reached this third-ranked official's position."

Yan Ting gave his mom a glance.
If it were up to him, it was fine to forget about this uncle of his.

Although he was mom's brother, he was completely useless normally. Back then he even looked down a little on their household, and felt the Weiyuan Marquis Estate was in decline. He forgot that he himself was just a fifth-rank minor official when he first came to the capital, and was extremely eager to marry his sister off to Yan Ting's sickly dad.

After moving up in ranks, he had gradually started looking down on his in-law's household, which looked strong on the outside but was dried up on the inside. Everytime they met, he would arrogantly give them some pointers. It was only after Yan Ting married Shen Yi Yao that his attitude changed, and even sent some of his concubine born daughters over as concubines.

Thinking of this, Yan Ting's anger flared up.
Shen Yi Yao, Zhenguo Duke, these names had become Yan Ting's unshakeable nightmare at some point!

"Don't bother with this matter. There are many things involved. Uncle probably realizes this as well. It's already pretty good he can keep his life."

Hearing this, the old madam no longer spoke.

Right after Yan Ting left, Xue-shi came over.

While the old madam had been bedridden, the household's finances were left to Xue-shi to manage. The old madam had wanted to let Chen-shi handle it, but unfortunately she wasn't up to the task. But with Concubine Pei's previous example, the old madam now kept an extremely tight watch. Xue-shi had to report everything that required money, and could only proceed after obtaining her approval.
She was unwilling to relinquish any authority despite being bedridden. Xue-shi became extremely busy.

Xue-shi helped the old madam eat a bowl of swallow's nest before saying: "Mom, did second brother tell you? He brought a woman back."

The old madam froze.

Xue-shi spoke again: "That person is currently in the Ziyu Pavilion. Your daughter-in-law only knew after the servants reported it. What do you think...."

The old madam glanced at Xue-shi and harrumphed: "What's wrong with old two bringing a woman back. If Shen Yi Yao is allowed not to come back, then isn't old two allowed to bring a woman back?!"

This was her pushing the blame onto the absent Shen Yi Yao.

Xue-shi was a little startled. "Sister-in-law isn't coming back? Why is that?"

The old madam shook her hand off and glared at her. "Who cares if she's not coming back? If she wants to recuperate at the manor, then let her recuperate the rest of her life. What are you asking about her for? Are the two of you close?"