Chapter 73.2

How could the Zhenguo Duke not understand the old woman's meaning. He raised his eyebrows and gave her a glance. "Stop worrying needlessly. The younger generation shouldn't be spoiled." Then he said to Shen Ding: "Come with me to the study."

Only after father and son left did the Zhenguo madam twist her mouth and say to Matron Xu: "That damn old man, saying one thing while meaning something else. Does he think I don't realize he's more worried than I am?"

When they heard that Shen Yi Yao was unconscious and wouldn't wake up, the Zhenguo Duke was completely depressed. Everyone in the estate gave him a wide berth. He considered sending someone to invite an imperial physician, but resisted the urge. Luckily Shen Yi Yao woke up afterwards. His granddaughter had sent a letter over, allowing the entire estate to relax.

Matron Xu said while holding in a smile: "The lord duke doesn't want you to worry too much, so you should worry less. The lord duke knows what he's doing."

The Zhenguo madam naturally understood this. But understanding and being at ease was two separate things.

"I know. I'm just worried about Yao'er. That wretched Yan Ting, how dare he treat my precious daughter this way? Oh my Yao'er. What sin has she commited to end up with such a person? It's all my fault for not persuading her back then...."

As she spoke, the Zhenguo Madam couldn't help but started getting upset.
......
Within the study.

"Has that Yan Ting made any moves recently?"
Shen Ding who was seated down below put his teacup down. "He's like a headless fly. However, we've noticed he's been diligently interacting with the Wuding Marquis household's Liu Xi. He seems to be planning on getting connected with Liu Xi's older brother-in-law."

The Zhenguo Duke sneered disdainfully, "He's pretty good at currying favor."

"Perhaps he might end up succeeding. The Xu household doesn't have any foundations and would love to have more people on their side." Shen Ding gestured. "Those two aren't young anymore. It's about time for them to make a move."

This was indeed the case. This was a bit of a long story.

During the selection process a certain number of years ago, Senior Concubine Xu who came from a commoner household ascended in a single bound. At that time, she wasn't the senior concubine yet, but rather Attendent Xu. She was extremely beautiful and aroused sympathy. Emperor Xi was very fond of her.

Attendent Xu was of humble origin, but was good at understanding others. She also worked hard and gave birth to two princes in one go. She was also favored by Emperor Xi, and went all the way from attendant to the most favored senior concubine within the six palaces. She could be said to be so extremely favored that even Empress Xiao didn't dare reveal her blade.

As the saying goes, when a man achieves the Dao, his chickens and dogs ascend as well. The Xu household naturally became well regarded. Senior Concubine Xu's dad was a butcher. He shed his oily rags and transformed into the Chengen Marquis.

The merit-based nobility naturally looked down upon these new nobles who relied on their women's relationships to ascend. However, they were helpless since the Xu household's Senior Concubine Xu was favored. They only dared speak sour words secretly, but were all smiles when facing them, and were even reverent. Some households had similar thoughts and couldn't wait to send their decent looking daughters into the palace. They hoped they could come up with another awesome senior concubine.

All this won't be mentioned for now. Since the Xu household were commoners, their foundations were shallow. Now that the princes were all matured and since the second and third prince were birthed by Senior Concubine Xu, it was normal for her to have some thoughts.