Chapter 96.2

He directed the latter part to the officials beneath him. No one dared respond and they all merely smiled. The royal family's affairs had always been complicated and involved many things. Those who were smart wouldn't get involved. These princes and concubines loved to put on a performance. They just watched the show. Only fools would get involved.

"Your son wishes to propose to the Weiyuan Marquis Estate's principal eldest daughter Miss Yan. That day during the wolf pack attack, your son noticed Miss Yan was calm in the face of danger. Her composed appearance made me suddenly feel only such a girl is suitable to become the second prince consort. Royal father, please grant this wish."

The scene immediately quietened down. Suddenly a crisp sound shattered the silence.

Everyone looked over and saw that the fourth prince had accidentally bumped the tray of the palace maid serving the alcohol. The jug lay shattered on the floor.

That palace maid seemed to have gotten a fright. She thudded to her knees and kowtowed continuously for mercy.

The fourth prince seemed even more frightened than her. He carefully looked around and when he saw everyone looking at him, he lowered his head hurriedly in fear.

The second prince pursed his lips and was a little displeased. That stupid pig old fourth knocking over a jug at this time must have some rather unpleasant implications. But it wasn't convenient for him to say anything. He acted as though nothing occurred and continued to look expectantly at Emperor Xi.

"Royal father, please grant this wish."

Only now did Emperor Xi seem to snap out of it. He asked the empress beside him: "Which household's miss caught Jin'er's eye?"

The empress smiled rigidly, "The Weiyuan Marquis Estate's Yan household. This Weiyuan Marquis Estate is an old merit-based noble household. Their ancestor was one of the meritorious officials under the ancestral emperor."

There were many meritorious officials under the ancestral emperor. Several of their descendents were present today. However, since Emperor Xi wasn't familiar with this name, it was probably a declined household.

Seeing Emperor Xi's confusion, the empress was rather considerate and added, "This Weiyuan Marquis's madam is the Zhenguo Duke's only daughter. Since we're talking about their principal daughter, that miss should be the old duke's granddaughter."

Emperor Xi seemed to have finally connected the dots. His eyes imperceptibly narrowed as he looked faintly at the second prince. "You've set your eyes on the Yan household's miss?"

"After hearing that Miss Yan was talented in both literature and martial arts, your son felt admiration the moment he saw her."

Emperor Xi slightly nodded and waved his hand. "Go summon the Yan household's miss over."

Zheng Hai Quan bowed and went to carry it out.

The second prince returned to his seat. The scene was quiet enough to hear a pin drop.

At the head table, the empress and the crown prince were both inexplicably gloomy. The crowd also seemed to have sensed the conflict and kept their heads lowered, acting like stone pillars in their seats.

The Zhenguo Duke suddenly laughed brightly a few times and said to Emperor Xi: "The second prince is truly mistaken in his praise. My granddaughter has always been a willful one and her temper isn't so good. She doesn't deserve such praise from the second prince."

Emperor Xi waved his hand uncaringly. "The Zhenguo Duke is being modest. To catch the second prince's eye, she must be outstanding."

The Zhenguo Duke merely smiled.