Chapter 134

In Yan Feng's eyes, Shen Yi Yao was a stubborn and unyielding person. She had absolutely no idea what she was thinking.

Was her son not her own?

If a woman wanted prestige, she still had to depend on her man and her son. Why would she toss a perfectly good noble title aside? She truly didn't know what was going on in her mind.

Many people had such thoughts. Shen Yi Yao wasn't surprised Yan Feng thought this way.

"Second sis-in-law, can you tell your eldest sis what you're thinking? Ah Mo is your biological son. Why won't you consider his future?"

Shen Yi Yao lowered her head and said: "Eldest sis, I feel the younger generations will be fine on their own. Furthermore, eldest sis is overestimating the Shen household too much. This is the Grand Xi's rule, and it cannot be overturned so casually."

Yan Feng's cheeks were flushed from anger. She stood in front of Shen Yi Yao and stared her down. Her expression was unreconciled, irritable and filled with doubt.

There were many titled nobles in the capital that ended after five generations. It wasn't like there weren't previous examples of those who received some favor outside the law. The point was that it required his majesty's favor. The Yan household didn't even register in Emperor Xi's eyes. They were the lowest of the low. However, the Shen household was different. This inherited duke title could be counted as the tip of the pyramid amongst nobility. If the Shen household could speak up for the Yan household, and then put in some effort, nothing was a problem.

Yan Feng wasn't the only one who thought this way. Many people in the estate did as well. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many people spending time on Shen Yi Yao. When the tree was about to collapse, everyone feared for the eggs inside the nest.

"Do you think that because old two is gone, the future Yan household has nothing to do with you? Don't you forget you're the Yan household's wife! Yan Feng was utterly exasperated.

These words shed all pretenses of cordiality. Yan Feng had truly gotten frustrated.

Her maternal family was a mess and her husband's family didn't want her to get involved. But her heavily ill old mom cried and begged her. Could she say no? She just couldn't figure out why Shen Yi Yao made things all sorts of difficult when it was an extremely easy matter. In the past when her mom didn't like Shen Yi Yao, she assumed it was because mothers-in-law were natural enemies with daughters-in-law. Now she no longer thought this. She felt it was completely this Shen Yi Yao's issue!

Shen Yi Yao raised her head and looked at Yan Feng, saying: "Eldest sis, no need put such a label on me. I truly am the Yan household's wife. Since that is the case, I will naturally abide by my role and properly mourn for my husband at home. The matters outside aren't things that a housewife like me can handle."

Yan Feng was angered by Shen Yi Yao's gentle retort, and said shrilly: "Then you mean you won't manage this household anymore?"

"Eldest sis, ever since I married into the Yan household, I've never been in charge. Why are you asking me whether I'm still going to manage it? You should ask your mom this question instead."

This was the truth. Although Shen Yi Yao had been the household manager for several years, everything was still controlled by the old madam. The old madam was rude and unreasonable, and held everything tightly in her grasp. For the sake of usurping her daughter-in-law's authority in a justified manner, she had used all sorts of covert and overt methods.

When everything was fine, she couldn't care less about Shen Yi Yao. When something was wrong, she would force her to shoulder the responsibility. No one was really a fool. It's just that people often weren't willing to say the ugly part out loud.