Chapter 68 ~ The Hatching

(To start the chapter, in the Temple of Airjitzu, Wu sips his tea while sitting as the Team is looking at him awaiting an answer.)

Wu: Ah, another cup please, Misako. 

Misako: Okay, but drink it slower this time. Healing Tea doesn't work on a burnt tongue. (He drinks the tea.) Sip! You are quite impatient. 

Wu: The same could be said of them. 

Cole: Okay, Master Wu, you've had your tea. Now can we talk? 

Wu: Ask any question you wish. 

Cole: Well, to start, who did we fight in the monastery?

Morro: And why'd you go alone?

Zane: That was Acronix. 

Kai: From the painting? 

Lloyd: Twins look alike! 

Nya: Or was it Krux? 

Zane: Is he from the future? 

Kai: How does he speed up time like that? 

Cole: Was he from the past? 

Jay: Who ate my pudding cup? (The others stare at him as Cole facepalms.) What? He said ask any question. I put my name on this. Just because we're in a new dojo doesn't mean we disobey the refrigerator rules! (They stare at him again as Cole gives him the "zip it" sign.) Hehe, right, sorry. (To Wu.) Uh, guy in monastery. What's his story? 

Wu: Well, to answer that, I must begin at the end. It was forty years ago, shortly after the Serpentine Wars. When I was a much younger man. As you know, we fought valiantly, but our enemies were strong, and our powers alone were not enough. It was the discovery of the magic flutes that allowed us to finally defeat the Anacondrai. Their leaders were banished. And peace was returned to Ninjago. 

Wu: It is done, brother Garmadon. 

Garmadon: Indeed, Wu. 

Wu: Today, Ninjago is finally at peace. A great victory. And one we could not have achieved without each of you, the Elemental Masters. Smoke, Metal, Lightning, Shadow, Fire, Water, and Time! 

Elenora: Wait. So that man at the monastery was an actual...Elemental Master of Time?

Wu: No. Acronix was an Elemental Master of Time, like his brother, Krux. (Elenora looks away.) After helping us win our hard-fought peace, they betrayed me, Garmadon...Mystake, and the others. The so-called Hands of Time felt they controlled the most powerful Element, therefore entitling them to rule all of Ninjago.

Nya: What did you do?

Wu: We had to stop them. And it would take all of us. Garmadon, myself, and every Elemental Master.

Kai: Even our parents? 

Wu: Of course. Kai, Nya, your mother and father were great fighters, but it appeared even they had met their match. 

(In the past, all the Elemental Masters are shown to be fighting against the Hands of Time, only to be overpowered by them. Mystake drinks some tea and runs to fight them, but the scene cuts to her coughing as Garmadon and Wu comfort her.) 

Garmadon: They're unbeatable, brother! 

Mystake: Ugh, that is an overstatement. (She stands up, shrugging off Garmadon.) If only Leoht were here...