Chapter 55 They of the Storm; The Second Black Night part 1

Chapter 55

They of the Storm

         ~The Second Black Night part 1~

"I am a stranger; I am an alien. Are you really gonna love me when I'm gone?"

~Of Monsters and Men~

It was burning, deep within her. Mia felt it biting—tearing the inside walls of her heart as the vital organ smashed itself against her rib-cage. She experienced many things this past year, unbearable losses and sensations that could cripple any normal sane person.

But this one...

It surpassed everything she was forced to endure. The emotion bubbled from within her, causing her mind to go numb and her heart to lose control. It destroyed everything she made herself to be—everything she fought so hard to create.

Her flight was hasty, speeding past the city streets and into the forest where she first met Exsavior. The trees were destroyed, the land was ravaged and all that once was life was now dead.

Mia's hand grabbed at her chest; it was like something of an enormous size was emerging from within her, as if it couldn't fit. So it crushed her insides, fighting its way to the surface and making it difficult for her lungs to achieve their goal.

The ruined building came into view, and for a second, the captain believed her eyes would fail her. She didn't know if it was normal for an angel to have a nauseating wave drain her of her energies, but it went by so fast the moment she burst through those doors.

Mia couldn't hear anything or anyone, even when her eyes found Isabel and David sitting on the floor, or what was left of it, the darkness hugging their bodies as their only means for comfort.

Isabel stood, her eyes lavished in worry and remorse, as she parted her lips. They spoke something, but Mia's daze overpowered her ears.

The angel ignored whatever she said, and found a battered door that used to connect Margery's room with the rest of the home. Her stride took her to the room, and she opened the door.

Nothing could have prepared her for what she saw.

Exsavior was laid on a bed, completely naked but covered with bandages and a bloodied blanket. He looked so pale, so defeated.

Then, with no warning, Mia cried.

Her green irises flashed with waterfalls of tears as she made her way to him. But someone stopped her; Jasmine put herself between them.

"Don't agitate him. He is in critical condition." Her words shot through her mind like a bullet.

"How dare you!" Mia said to her in anger. Her tearful eyes thundering in the she-wolf's direction.

Jasmine gave Mia the same look, her eyes were as exhausted as the angel's, possibly more.

"I get you want to see him, but he needs to rest. If anything disturbs that, he may not heal. He may die," Jasmine spoke with so much demand. She would not let the angel near him.

Mia tried to formulate words, her mind raging with blind anger, but nothing would surface.

"Mia...," then a soft scared voice came from behind her. Isabel grazed her arm, making the angel turn to her best friend.

Her blue eyes were tired. It was not just her who was suffering for Exsavior.

They all were...

She wanted to stay angry; she wanted to remain defiant, but when she realized this, her sobs crumbled her demeanor.