Chapter 23 And It All Goes On

Chapter 23

And It All Goes On

“Keep your head up buttercup; we can rule the world!”

~Taysia Bleu~

One Week after the supposed Oakhurst ‘Terrorist’ attack

        The phone kept ringing nonstop; it made him want to smash it to bits.

        “I’ll get it honey, don’t worry!”

        But he was worried.

        He saw how she ran from the kitchen in a hurry to pick up the phone that was plastered to the wall. Her hair was a mess, and her eyes gave away the sleepless nights she was enduring.

        In an angry motion, he stood and walked towards her. The sound of her kind voice, masking the pain she was hiding, flowed smoothly into the receiver. He did not even think about what he doing, much less what he did after.

        Brusquely, the phone was taken from her ear as he smashed it into place, rendering it broken. Her tired eyes stared in shock at her son.

        “David—”

        But her sentence was not completed.

       “Stop it. Stop all of this, why are you working yourself to death. Just grieve mom, please cope with this in a healthier manner.” David’s eyes were angry, but they withheld love and worry. It was fear that made him act, his mother was not good with deaths or tragedies, and all week those were the types of news that she was receiving.

        Lily’s round face that was usually warm and inviting reflected a pale mien; she was hurting, and she did not know how to cope with it. Her worn eyes looked at her son, and when it seemed that Lily would succumb to his pleas, she broke the stare.

        The timer dinged, and she scurried away. “My chicken potpie is ready! You boys have to get your energy before the funeral.”

        David sighed in sadness, as he could only watch his mother submerge herself in tasks. The problem was her job; she was a florist and after the incident, funerals were being held left and right. People who had lost their loved ones kept walking into her shop with sorrowful stories. The worst part was that Lily knew some of the victims and she had practically attended three funerals already during the week. That’s when things worsened, and David managed to convince her to close the shop for a while, but then the calls began.

        In rendition, he made his way to the sofa and slumped into it. There was a lot to think about and he didn’t know where to begin. Aside from being a werewolf, there was the mess of his friends. Mia lost consciousness after the demon ordeal, and hadn’t woken up since—either that or Lynn was keeping her away from them. Apparently, the woman did not trust him or his friends.

        This caused a lot of stress for Exsavior, who fretted over her constantly, but David figured that the root of his problems was Margery. Her death caused a strong impact, not only on him and his mother, but on Exsavior as well. That day, Locke had vanished, and Exsavior suspected something wasn’t right, which led him to follow after the Trickster. David remembered it clearly—how he returned that night. Exsavior didn’t say a word to either him or his mother.