Chapter 42 Lost Innocence

Chapter 42

Lost Innocence

“All things truly wicked start from innocence.”

~Ernest Hemingway~

        “I want an ice-cream cola, not a smoothie.” His voice was whiney, that of a child. It was to be expected since he was only ten years old, and as Conan grabbed the warm hand of his mother, he crossed the streets in a pout.

        Margery looked down at him with a bright smile. “I don’t want any soda in you, so you can either have a smoothie or a sundae.”

        Normal kids would jump at the mention of a sundae, but Conan was dead set on an ice-cream cola. More because of how all of his friends boasted over it and how it tasted.

        He had yet to be so lucky.

      Crossing his arms over his chest, he stopped in front of the Italian ice shop and refused to move. “I’m not moving until I get the soda,” he said, making the passersby smile at the gesture.

        Margery sighed slightly and turned back to her son. She knelt to be at his level and looked him in the eyes with a smirk.

        His green angry eyes stared right back with no hint of wavering—such an obstinate child.

        “Ok, if you promise me one thing, I will buy you the ice-cream cola.”

        In slight suspicion, Conan’s eyes widened as he nodded out of sheer curiosity. No matter what, he could not deny the interest he took in wanting to know just what his mother had in store for him.

        “I want you to never forget this moment, and when you’re older, I want you to tell me if you would do this again,” she said as her arm rested on his small shoulder.

        Conan’s scowl and pout completely disappeared; he was not quite sure what she meant with remembering and he did not understand why it was so important to her, but if it meant getting his ice-cream cola, the promise seemed easy enough.

       “Ok,” he said simply, making her smile. It was not long before they entered the shop and Conan was happily rewarded with his ice-cream cola.

                                        ~~~~End of Flashback~~~~

        Finding Skylar was not as straightforward as he thought it would be. The witch was extremely crafty and skilled at covering her tracks. It was only during some moments where she would slip up and Conan would catch a whiff of her scent.

        Aside from her stealth, Skylar was obviously a fast witch. With ease would she outmaneuver Conan, as if he was but a human on foot.

        “Humph.” Scowling, Conan sat back on the bench in front of the place where the Italian ice shop once stood.

        He did not know why all those memories were coming back to him, and what’s more was that he could not place them.

        Margery was dead; who she really was, eluded him, but according to his recollection of those bits and pieces, she was his mother.