Chapter 2 Unbound

Chapter 2

 Unbound

“He who is brave is free.”

~Seneca~

        The commotion died down considerably after Lynn arrived, accompanied by a few other low-ranking officials. The forest did not seem to bear the same ominous silence it did before, and any evidence of the wolf’s presence was gone.

        “Almost as if it never even existed…” Lynn said to herself.

         She allowed her confident stride to lead her directly to Mia’s fretting teacher.

        “Ma’am, I am not authorized to answer any more of your questions. I have already told you, the situation is under control.” One of the Covenant zealots remarked.

        “But, you can’t just dismiss me like some nuisance. I am the chaperon of this trip; it’s my duty to keep these students safe! How am I going to explain it to Edward’s parents?” The woman just continued to pummel the officer with a flood of questions. It was only natural to be upset after losing a student on a field trip you were put in charge of.

      Nevertheless, she seemed overly dramatic. Her brown frizzy hair was in an uncontrollable mess, her face was flushed and her eyes, which were on the brink of tears, were turning reddish. It was situations like these that made Lynn’s job tedious.

        “Move Jaeger!” Lynn made her way forcefully between the officer and the woman.

      The chaperon just gave her a confused look before attempting to bombard Lynn with more questions. However, Lynn raised one hand before the woman, signaling to cease her actions.

        “Reverso…” Instantaneously, a small golden wave of light flashed before the woman’s eyes.

        “Templar Commander Lynn, if I may, there are students around that can…”

        “Don’t be a fool, Jaeger, only those who are affected by Reverso can actually see the Reverso.” Lynn spoke in an impatient authoritative manner, as she slightly tilted her head in Jaeger’s direction.

        The Covenant zealot sighed in relief and sheepishly apologized to his superior for doubting her methods.

        Returning to the chaperon, Lynn gave the teacher a hard stare. “State your name.”

        “Ma-Mallory, Elizabeth Mallory,” she said, in a stutter due to Lynn’s intimidating stare.

        “Well Ms. Mallory, rest assured; we have the situation under control.”

        “Yes, you have the situation under control…” Ms. Mallory mechanically repeated.

      “When asked, if asked, you know not of the ongoing situation and Ed, or Edward, is in our capable hands, which you are not at liberty to discuss.” The chaperon repeated the phrase, leaving Lynn satisfied as she released her from the compulsion.

        “Oh dear, I better gather up all the students now.” Immediately, Ms. Mallory reacted as if all was well in the world. She left Lynn’s side and returned to the school bus.