Chapter 59 A Fire in a Lonely Town; The Second Black Night Final

Chapter 59

A Fire in a Lonely Town

The Second Black Night final

"If this is to end in fire, then we should all burn together."

~Ed Sheeran~

It was but a wisp of a dancing spark, flying about in a flawless perfection before it sizzled and vanished the moment it touched his skin. The burning flame was just a fragment of the powerful fire that tore away at the city of Oakhurst, claiming lives in a merciless assault.

Slowly, his feet walked amongst the sidewalks where the homes fell under the Aberhants. His eyes, although firm and stern would reflect the blazing skies—it was just like back then.

Stopping to remain still, his ears picked up on a shattering glass as a screaming woman came flying out of one of the homes. She fell hard to the ground, with her arms wrapped around something that was precious to her.

In that moment, she looked up and her eyes came in contact with his sleek dark pupils. He gave her no emotions for he just watched.

The woman, for a moment wanted to say something, but instead, her face turned to a scowl. She looked down and forced her limbs to pick up her body the minute a howling beast burst out of her home.

Scowling, she opened her arms to reveal a crying boy. "You have to be brave ok, for mommy," and as the boy gave her a nod, the beast charged at them.

It unleashed a storm of deadly acid, as the woman stretched her arms towards its muzzle. She screamed in pain but managed to rip its jaw apart—killing it instantly. The Aberhant turned to ash, but the woman, unable to move much, fell limp to the ground.

"Mommy!" the boy cried out, returning to her side.

But the boy was not able to see her, for in that moment he intervened and stood in his way.

His eyes looking down at the woman with no emotion yet to be revealed, scanned her dying body. Her skin was afflicted by the poison but never once did she make a sound.

"Why did you refuse to ask for my aid?" he questioned.

The woman coughed and remained still, leaving her cheek to rest on the grass when the poison took her final strengths. "Because I knew you wouldn't," and in the second she said this, her body withered and disappeared—making his eyes flash with surprise.

There was little time for him to process what he heard, for the child behind him began to wail.

Turning around, he analyzed the boy, almost believing the child to be him when he was that age. It threatened to soften his demeanor, but he pushed it back as he knelt for the now orphaned boy.

In his hand, he summoned a creature. It was a small scorpion-like being colored in silver. "Your mother said to be brave. From now on you have to be brave or she will be sad forever. Don't let that happen."

When he said this, the scorpion left his hand and crawled up on the child's shoulder. The boy started to get fidgety as he feared the bug, but he spoke once more to clear his doubts.

"If you ever need help, this will protect you. Don't be afraid of it—it is your friend and the only thing that will keep you safe," and with that said, he took his leave.