Chapter 3 A Cry for Pride

Chapter 3

A Cry for Pride

 “Destiny can eat shit and die.

If I can't achieve something, I will cry for pride.”

~ROOKiEZ is PUNK’D~

        Fifty long lonely years had passed since the Black Night, and never once did he step out of his restraints. He was not able to. After the incident, the witches thought it would be in everyone’s best interest to seal away the remnants of energy where a supernatural massacre had occurred. However, when this happened, he too was sealed away; forever trapped as some lone spirit haunting the fragments of his past.

        But now he was free…

      Slowly, he reached the outskirts of the forest and with his keen vision, he noted the streets ahead. Only one step separated him from liberty.

        Would he really be able to take it?

       Again, he watched the world in front of him. It was like looking into a magical mirror. On one side there was the world he longed for that changed with every passing minute—and on the other side was him—stuck in an unchanging realm with nothing but the company of his solitude.

        He tried a countless amount of times to break through the constraints that bound him to the forest. The place that once was his home, but was now just a piece of his horrid past. It was no longer a home. He had lost sight of that the moment his pack was slaughtered byt the hunters, who turned the forest into a grave.

        Hesitantly, he lifted his foot, as if afraid that he would do it wrong, and quickly slammed it down on the other side.

       It was ecstasy. A feeling he had not felt in fifty years. A simple motion, yet it made everything right. The breeze tickled his body, as if welcoming him to the world that had taunted him for so long.

        ‘It worked!’ and just like that freedom had been delivered to him.

       The day was just starting, and he smirked to himself as if he and the sun shared an inside joke. He gave no mind to the passing car that sped before him, and he should have, since he was completely naked.

        Nevertheless, his joy was beyond his own reasoning as he just gave in and morphed back to his true form. With a powerful leap, he crossed the road before him and ran into the unfamiliar forest that he had been unable to enter for so long.

        Though, before he completely let himself go, he turned one final time to stare back at the woods that had harbored him. His prison, his family’s grave and the place he once called home. As painful as it was to have been forced to endure such a torment, he could not find himself to loathe the forest, and as he looked back into its gloomy density of trees, he imagined how it used to be. A time long lost to the wages of war and hatred.

        A whimper started to form in his throat when his mind tricked him. Seeing a snow white wolf, running around in a playful manner alongside another dark black one, was all he could take. He could never truly face the memories of his sister and father, for he had survived unlike them. Somehow, he felt guilty that he had not found Paradise along with his brethren.

        Running was the only peace he ever really had. It was what allowed him to truly feel free, and as he did this, his mind was able to push past his painful memories to formulate his next move.