Chapter 11 Remnants

Chapter 11

Remnants

“There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery.”

~Dante~

          The blackness of it all, the slightly moving leaves of the trees and the bright starry sky always lit with those gleaming orbs, taunted him with its beauty. It reminded him of all the nights he had spent there completely alone. Exsavior took one step and then stopped to absorb it all.

          He seemed so small compared to the forest, as if it would engulf him again and never let him go. His skin shivered with emotion and his heart pounded uneasily against his chest. All he wanted to do at that moment was give in, surrender to the grief and sorrow of how his life had turned out to be.

         A young pup born into this world with nothing but his father and mother to count on, only to have them ripped from him. Sealed away for fifty years, Exsavior knew, even if he would never admit it, that he had never truly lived.

          “Exsavior…its ok.” Isabel’s voice broke his chain of thoughts as her slight touch on his hand brought him back to reality.

          He looked up at her with his lost brown eyes as she smiled back at him.

          “Ok.” It was all he could say as he nodded and proceeded to follow her.

         It did not take them long to reach the spot where the ingredients where located, and once there, Exsavior froze in place once again.

          “Why here?” He asked.

          Isabel did not answer him as she looked down at the ground.

          “This is where you met Mia, right?” She asked.

          “Yes…”

          “What else happened here?” She asked tentatively.

          Exsavior was silent at first as he watched her. Isabel was staring at a particular spot, the very same one where the moon flowers where.

          “Why…?” He asked in suspicion.

          “It’s fine…I do not need to know, but what I need is your permission to take this sprout.” She spoke.

          Exsavior, not understanding, looked to where she had been fixated.

          “That flower….why? Why must it be that plant?” He asked, getting frustrated.

          “It is imbued with a certain aura, pure and powerful, similar to yours. If I am to make a charm to shroud you from every being, it must be one that can only work on you. Otherwise, it will be much more difficult to make and too risky to have around.”

          “So, that’s why you wanted me to come…” He started to get angry.

          Isabel said nothing as she stared at the small green plant, a tiny fragment of Exsavior’s past, trying and fighting to find its way back to him. Her eyes looked at it and although they seemed serious, they bared such sorrowful emotions. Exsavior could tell that she wanted to know what the plant meant to him.