Chapter 4 Escape

Chapter 4

 Escape

We feel free when we escape—even if it be but from the frying pan to the fire.

~Erick Hoffer~

        “So who was that guy?” asked a very curious Mia from the passenger seat.

      She could tell that David was trying his best to be nonchalant about Exsavior, but failed miserably when she worded her inquiry. It was obvious to Mia that he did not want to come off as the jealous kind in front of Isabel, which is why she took it upon herself to question her friend.

       Mia noted how the question unsettled Isabel, making her laugh nervously as she drove. “He’s just someone I used to know from a long time ago.”

        “Used to know?” Mia squinted her eyes in suspicion.

        “Yea, someone I went to school with before I came here.” Isabel simply said. Mia stared at her directly with a stern look in her eyes. In all honesty, even if it appeared so, her intentions were not to upset Isabel. Mia needed the facts straight in order to balance out of all the lies she had to deal with in her daily life.

         It was depressing to realize that Isabel added to that pile of deceptions.

      She heard David sigh of relief and that caused Mia to ease up on her question. If he willingly accepted Isabel’s answer, why couldn’t she do the same? Even if the excuse sounded weak or false, Mia needed to respect that. It was selfish to no do so since she harbored her own secret.

      In rendition, Mia rested her back on the passenger seat as she mused with her own suspicions.

       ‘Why would she hide the fact that she knew him when he answered the door, and why didn’t she say that she knew him when I asked who he was? Better yet, why didn’t he?’ Mia just watched Isabel as she drove to their school, noticing how she did the same every possible chance from the corner of her eye.

       It was a standoff that lasted seconds, but neither worded their doubts.

       Even so, she assumed that this was probably some old relationship Isabel was trying to keep buried from David. Due to this, Mia was determined to learn about it later, when she was alone with Isabel.

       Dropping the notion, she relaxed her tense mind and proceeded to watch the road in front of her.

       The red light disappeared and changed to green, signaling Isabel to continue her drive. Their school, from each of their respective homes, was not that far. Falls Academy was at the center of the city, and that facilitated the students to make their way easily in the morning. The traffic was a bit harsh every once and while, but nothing too frustrating.

       Upon nearing the academy grounds, an enormous statue came into view. It was a monument of Hercules and it always signaled their arrival at the school. The entrance to the institution consisted of a detour roundabout from the main streets that practically surrounded the small square of the statue. As Isabel took the detour, she noted the enormous school sign that relayed the information of the upcoming football game her school has holding. She could hear David all hyped up, making comments about it from the back seat, none of which pleased her.