Chapter 13 A Game of Chess; Dance of the Wild Melody part 1

Chapter 13

A Game of Chess
          ~Dance of the Wild Melody Part 1~

“We walked on, carved out an era with brand new fangs.”

~SID~

          They walked cheerfully together, hands held firm within one another. It was daybreak and Olivia wished that last night had not ended. As Conan led her through the streets of the busy town of Oakhurst, she began to recall her visit to the town.

          Olivia had dropped by the school in order to surprise Conan as soon as they settled on meeting up together. Due to her visit, she had been able to meet a few interesting people.

          They stopped at a street light that glowed green, indicating the cars to advance. It was very early in the morning but that did not lighten the traffic. A few girls passed by Olivia and Conan, turning left instead of crossing the street as they chitchatted happily. Olivia watched them and could not help but smile, remembering the students of Falls Academy.

            The light changed to red and Conan brought her back to reality by crossing the street.

          “Um…Conan, something interesting happened yesterday morning, when I went to visit you at the school.” She started.

       “Oh yea, you wanted to talk about something,” he paused as if remembering a crime he committed. “I was just so happy to see you that I didn’t even give you a chance to say anything.” Smiling sheepishly at her, Conan apologized.

          “I met a few of the students. One was a girl…” Olivia trailed off as they walked, allowing her to relive the day before.

                                                      ~Flashback~

          The school’s front gates were bustling busy with students. The building was enormous and Olivia felt as if she had to arch her back just to see its peak. It was a Victorian edifice; beautiful acanthus columns adorned its structure as a large round tower with a conical roof stood impressively at its side.

         Olivia walked closer to the building, denoting each of its important architectural characteristics.

         “Arches, Stone entablatures with dentils under each, cornices on the roofs, bay windows and dormers, all exquisitely designed with stone masonry.” Her hand grazed the wall of the round tower.

          “You like architecture?” Olivia was taken aback by the unknown voice. She turned from the wall to address the girl that had spoken.

        She had short curly black hair that fell to her shoulders and it seemed to move with each gesture she made. Her light brown eyes gazed at her with a smile. “I’m sorry if I startled you. My name’s Melisse Thoreau, are you new here?”

          Olivia hesitated; she disliked meeting new people. “No, well maybe to the city but not to the school, I mean I am new here to the institution, but I don’t attend here.” She rambled as she found it hard to look at the girl out of embarrassment.

          Melisse chuckled. “You haven’t told me your name?”

          “It’s Olivia…” Olivia was about to leave the girl after saying that but Melisse interjected.