Chapter 29 Feel Alive

Chapter 29

Feel Alive

“Take me home, where my dreams are made of gold.”

~Krewella
~

         The faces they passed, the bodies they pushed, it drew all the attention on their frenetic fleeting forms. Melisse let her brother take her away the minute Olivia had vanished. She knew well why he disliked her, and as they ran passed the mall gates and neared the bus stop that were further away from the direction Olivia had gone, something in her snapped.

          “Terry, stop!” she urged, but he did nothing of the sort. She could tell he was frightened out his mind.

          “We have to get away from them…” he uttered, finally stopping his tracks and sitting down on one of the benches.

         Melisse watched him attempt to catch his breath, and her eyes wanted to soften, but she fought against the feeling.

          “Terry, what are you talking about?” she asked, nervously.

          He put his hands in his face and almost cried. “It’s nothing. You wouldn’t believe me even if I told you.”

          This time, Melisse sat herself down and put her hand on his back. She was determined to tell him the truth. “Try me.”

          Terry looked at his adoptive sister, his eyes scanning her for any doubts. “Ok…” he started, taking a deep breath and breaking his gaze from her. “I saw this man from a distance. He was old and his face was so horrible. It was like he switched between other faces, if that makes sense.”

        Sadly, it did not. Melisse didn’t understand what he meant by that, because of this, she decided to bring up Olivia. “Does this have anything to do with Olivia?”

          Terry sighed. “She was with him, and Olivia scares me too.”

          Melisse was silent; she just watched him, waiting for the right opportunity.

         “Mel, I know this might sound crazy, but every time I look at her, I can see this weird ghost-like form of a woman. She can’t be human, Mel. You have to believe me!” Terry looked at his sister again, and began to cry, his eyes pleading for the truth or for her to believe him. When he saw her say nothing, he shifted his gaze back to floor, the tears passing through his glasses and falling on the concrete.

       Nevertheless, she did believe every word he had to say. The buses finally arrived at their destination, and before they could board, Melisse let a small fragment of her succubus powers surface. She did this knowing that Terry would break through the veil with his sight and see right through her human form.

        ‘Please don’t be scared of me, please god let everything be ok.’ She silently prayed to whatever deity out there that watched over her kind, a part of her knowing how futile it was.

         Terry would definitely be scared out his mind once he saw her.

      He sniffed and wiped his eyes, as he stood to face the door of the bus when it opened. Melisse’s heart pumped fiercely in her chest as she mimicked his actions. She was inches behind him, but to her it was like being on two different worlds. Her small hand lifted in search of his shoulder when she saw him take the first step of the small flight of stairs. A miniscule distance separated her fingers from his form, and just as she was about to touch him, she felt her throat tense up.