Chapter 32 She Lost Herself; They were Goddesses part 2

Chapter 32

She Lost Herself

           ~They were Goddesses part 2~

"If I lose myself tonight, it'll be by your side."

~One Republic~

         Her body shook with trembles of pain. In her eyes, Lynn could see the coldness emanate from the faces that stared down at her. The higher ups of the Covenant were giving their last final judgment for her 'negligence.' At least that was what they assumed her crime to be.

         Lynn coughed out more blood and stumbled with her feet. She feebly stood in the center of a large meeting hall; the ceramic tiles, tainted under her blood, glowed gold with the light that shone over them and her. All around the cylindrical room, people used her as the subject of their attention. In the center of one of the most decorated walls was a mezzanine with three elders, sitting in their respective chairs cloaked in robes, their faces concealed. It was obvious that they were the supreme, what with the church-like stained glass décor adorning the roundish walls behind them. The rest of Lynn's audience was composed of the other ranking Templars and as well as the three Paladins.

         Woozily, her half-closed eyes stared up at Wyatt. His face was contorted, filled with despair and pain at having to helplessly watch her. Lynn didn't have to look at Darius to know how he felt, and before she turned her stare, her legs gave out. Her knees touched the golden tiles, and were zapped by the powerful energy that emanated from them. Her strident cry made Darius stand in haste, but he was immediately subdued by Wyatt's lone hand on his arm.

         Pulling out her last shred of strength, Lynn forced herself to stand, having no other option.

         "Templar Commander Lynn," a man in the crowd of faces to the left of the Paladins, stood on behalf of the elders and spoke. His voice boomed with authority. "Your spirit has been completely broken. Due to your lack of responsibility, your failure to aid the city of Oakhurst, and most of all, your utter incompetence and tardiness with providing a proper report, you will be sentenced to rehabilitate with your Patron. Only once you have completely recovered and gained your spirit prowess will you then be reassigned to a new post." Before anyone could speak, one of the elders slammed a gavel on the marble table that was placed before them. It was blatant that Lynn's sentencing was inexorable.

         Those words were like knives to her heart, the pain she felt all over her body may have drained her energy, but the fact that she might not see Mia again was what really started to kill her.

         'Everything I have ever done was for her...everything I continue to do is for her.'

         Her eyes looked up at the elders that had their faces concealed; it was then that a quiver took control of her lips. Lynn felt them shake with want, with a desire to express the relentless pain that battled inside her. Her vision may have been blurred, her body may have been hunched over in pain as her one arm sustained her, but beyond all that, her voice could not be silenced.

         "I did it all for her..."

         The elders looked at each other in confusion.

         "What was that?" yelled the man with the gavel.

         "I did it all for her!" A rush of warmth drenched her cheeks and that's when she realized that her tears escaped their imprisonment. "I fought for Mia; I rid her of a demon you all failed to see, and I may have not protected the city, but I was there to fight the growing evil that is threatening humanity!" She stopped her chain of thoughts when a cough shook her throat, causing her to heave out more blood. Lynn didn't need to look herself in a mirror to know just how sickly pale she must have appeared.