Chapter 17 Blackbirds

Chapter 17

Blackbirds

“It’s harder starting over than never to have changed.”

~Linkin Park~

          The moist grass on the side of the long road prattled with dew drops whenever her feet would fall on them. It had taken her a good amount of time to finally reach the Hillsides, and it was to be expected, since she traveled by foot.

          Slowly but surely, she would arrive to see her—that person that had plagued her past. A life, long forgotten, that she needed to be rid of, but first, it was imperative to set her free. A rattling chill draped itself over her body from behind as she turned her unmoved eyes back in the direction from which she came. The howls and screams echoed along with the unsettling wind that originated from the city—it’s very reflection laced on her pupils.

          She closed her eyes solemnly and continued to advance. One short stride led her to the Wolf’s Bane Forest, which made her freeze in her tracks. Her pink dead eyes watched the still trees. The dark shadows that cast over them, held a mysterious secret that called her. They beckoned with wails of silence to draw her near, and after reaching the moistened dirt and grass that were in between the forest and the road, her body was overwhelmed with a surge of mana.

            Her head was invaded my images of her Master and three young woman—Priestesses of the East. Ezekias was younger back then and the girls appeared to be powerful, even more than her and her sisters. Then there was blood and everything stopped. For the first time in a good long while, her heart pounded frantically in fear and shock after seeing the vision.

            It was a premonition of the past—her Master’s past that held a secret.

          ‘No wonder he forbade us to go near the Wolf’s Bane Forest!’ She thought in complete angst.

          “Anise?” Startled by the voice, Anise grabbed Midnight who had been traveling alongside her, as she felt the cat soothe her emotions—her eyes returning to their usual monotone demeanor.

          Without turning to face the person, she spoke. “What are you doing here, Conan?”

        “I can ask you the same question. Where are you going?” He asked forcefully, recalling his dislike for the girl.

       “It is quite obvious; those Aberhants have gone wild and are rampaging about the city. The Covenant has most likely sent out their most capable soldiers. It’s only logical that I get out of there as fast as possible.” She said.

         Her statement irked Conan, not because of the choice of words; it was due to how much Anise had actually spoken. The mahogany haired witch was known for her taciturn behavior and detached attitude. Something was not right with her, and Conan couldn’t tell if it was the ongoing events or something else.

          Nevertheless, he shrugged the suspicions away and continued on his path. He would not involve himself in the affairs of those witches, unless it dealt with Olivia. “Well whatever, don’t go getting yourself killed.” He spat and left Anise to her thoughts.

          Shortly after, Conan picked up the presence of the wolf he had fought earlier. He was near and it was because of this that he hid himself away in the woods. Hopefully, the forest would mix up his scent enough so that the wolf wouldn’t notice him. Fate smiled on Conan, when he saw the young man make his leave. After a few minutes, he realized that it was safe to emerge and confront the woman.