Chapter 7 The Stirring

Chapter 7

The Stirring

“Trouble is the Man; heavy is the Head.”

~T.I.~

        In the outskirts of Oakhurst, a Victorian manor sits atop on one of the mountainous regions of the city. The building was enormous, almost castle-like. Its grand size was also due to its location, for it loomed over the inhabitants of the town. The site was also furthest away from the Hillsides, in the area of Oaken-kami, a name derived from eastern lore meaning god of the Oak tree. It was a secluded zone; a small scientific facility named Cove. Research and Development, was the only neighboring building to the manor, at a distance of about ten miles. Oaken-kami was the reaches of Oakhurst, the vast ocean, opposite to the research center, being its closest neighbor.

        If looked upon intently, faint shimmers of light could be seen coming from the glass windows of the manor, indicating the dark secrets that were held within.

        “Did you hear? Master had a run-in today.” Her companion teased in order to get a reaction. The poorly lit room made it almost impossible to see her expression.

        “What are you talking about? Master Ezekias doesn’t have run-ins…” She said sternly, remaining comfortably seated on the velvety sofa. It was the only furniture visible—even if barely—in the room. The room they were in was pitch-black, since the faint shimmers of flames coming from the candles that sat on the floor, was their source of illumination.

        “Oh but he did, it seems to be a big deal. I can’t wait to meet this mystery person.” Her sensual voice did not mask her lewd enthusiasm.

      “Olivia—is Caris bothering you?" Olivia heard another voice interrupt her conversation with Caris. She brightened to the sound.

         “Rose?” Olivia questioned, enthusiastically, as she felt her presence nearing the couch.

        In an instant, Rose intensified the flames of the candles with a flick of her fingers. Olivia saw her expression, noting how the glow of the light in contrast to the darkness gave it a deadly aspect.

       Rose’s appearance was a bit eccentric. She bore a stern porcelain face with serious grey eyes. Her hair was most exceptional; it was lavender in color with light pink highlights that were decorated nicely in two tied rose-buns, symbolizing her name.

       Olivia saw Rose staring at Caris.

        Caris was different from Rose in mostly all aspects. She had Egyptian blue eyes, decorated in black eyeliner. Her hair was ordinarily blonde and at mid length. The most distinctive quality about Caris was the way she carried herself.

     She was obviously a flirtatious person, always moving with a certain sensual stride that mimicked her speech.

        “Why do you talk about me like I'm some sort of nuisance? We were only chatting.” Caris said, much like how a teen complains towards an adult when reproached.

      “Olivia, where are Lorelei and Anise?” Rose ignored Caris’s immaturity, redirecting her attention to Olivia.

        “Master took them all on a mission.” Olivia responded, naturally.