Chapter 28 The Rising Tide

Chapter 28

The Rising Tide

“Put on your war paint.”

~Fall Out Boy~

         He growled with a menacing glance, uncaring of how everyone viewed him. If stares could kill, he would have been dead long ago. Bending his knees and pushing all his weight to the soles of his feet, Exsavior allowed his body to dance the familiar stride that he had learned the moment his lungs took their first breath.

         The other wolf did the same, using his own foreign stance to show his disproval. One second or two, and a powerful wind rattled Isabel’s hair as Exsavior swooped towards his target. The roar that followed him almost boomed throughout the village.

         He was mad.

       The Sierra wolf lifted both his arms to shield his chest in an inhuman whisk of speed, when Exsavior’s kick searched for his heart. The collision made them both move back, as Exsavior balanced himself on one foot. There was a single twitch before his other foot grazed the ground and vanished again with lightning fast movements. The Sierra wolf grunted, and moved from side to side in order to dodge Exsavior’s thrusting legs and knees.

      Faint shimmers of sweat splashed over their skins, and the glistening of each male’s hair swayed under the darkening light of the setting sun. Exsavior’s powerful movements shook the ground, breaking the cobblestones whenever the Sierra wolf pushed him back.

         Taking the opportunity to overwhelm his opponent, Exsavior swooped in again this time with a clenched fist, powerful enough to destroy a stone wall. The man, seconds before the hit would collide, sidestepped him and grabbed hold of his torso, but in anticipation, Exsavior jabbed his jaw with the elbow of his other arm.

      The Sierra wolf flinched back and growled in angry pain, allowing Exsavior to continue his assault. He snatched the long black strands of flowing hair and pulled his foe down, exposing his back to Exsavior’s foot. With no remorse, an earth splitting stomp befell upon the Sierra wolf, creating a small depression on the ground where the enemy lay. The reddening of Exsavior eyes were a dead giveaway of the intensity he was putting into the fight, as he stood over him in premature triumph.

        There was a shuffle, and when he looked to the body of his enemy, Exsavior’s eyes widened. The Sierra wolf smacked the solid dirt with his bare fists. He did this twice, even with the tremendous weight of Exsavior’s foot on him. In an instant, a tremble ignited uproar among the crowd that had come to watch, and before he knew it, a rupture of stones and dust burst from the ground from where the fists had collided. It pummeled Exsavior away from the wolf.

         The tattooed werewolf lifted his agile body in a nimble fashion. He smirked and crouched like a tiger, while taking a low stance that resembled a martial artist.

         “Now it’s my turn.”

         Exsavior shook off the dirt and braced himself when his eyes clashed on the speeding form of his opponent rushing him. The jabs and fists were easy to dodge, but the Sierra wolf surprised Exsavior when he twirled and drop kicked his abdomen. His kicks were faster than his punches, forcing Exsavior to block them rather than dodge. They were powerful blows that bruised his skin and pushed him further back. It was obvious that Exsavior’s close combat fighting style was being effectively countered.