Chapter 44 By Your Side

Chapter 44

By Your Side

“I needed you to know that I’m right where I belong.”

~Good Charlotte~

       Exsavior focused hard on the task at hand; crunching numbers was never his strong suit, but having Mia by his side to help made it all worth it.

       Right before her, he sat in a chair with his physics book sprawled open on one of the school’s library desk. Mia was quietly working on her own problems and she seemed to make it look very easy, as her pencil ran swiftly through her notebook like a wolf would do in an open forest.

       To this Exsavior felt ashamed; he needed to try his best and avoid bothering his girl—even if she was there to tutor him. He was the male—and men were obliged to pick up their own weight.

       At least that’s how he saw things.

       With one of his hands scratching the back of his head, Exsavior scowled as he scrutinized the formula that was before him. He did not even realize that the pencil he had made it to his mouth and was now almost cracking in half.

       There was a small giggle, and then a soft graze on his cheek. He looked up and saw Mia’s hand pulling out the dying pencil from his mouth. Exsavior let it go the instant he realized what he was doing.

       “Sorry…,” he grumbled sheepishly as he hid his eyes back in the book.

    “Exsavior, how many times do I have to tell you? If you need help, you have to tell me,” she chastised lightly.

       To this Exsavior scoffed, but he allowed Mia to look over the problem he was struggling with.

       “Ok, so two people are pushing a table in opposite directions, meaning against each other, one with the force of two-hundred newton and the other of three-hundred. What is the net force?” Mia read over the problem and with little efforts, unlike Exsavior, she understood.

       “So, this one is really simple. It’s just the practice question,” she said with a smile and Exsavior simply nodded, not understanding completely what that meant.

       “The net force is just the result of subtracting the two forces that you are given, and that would be…?” Mia began, scanning the question with her pencil and observing Exsavior.

      He knew why she was testing him; it was to see how far his knowledge would go, and of course, he was not entirely uneducated. Simple problems like addition and subtraction was within his capabilities.

       “One hundred,” Exsavior answered, making Mia smile brightly.

       “Correct!” she said enthused.

       The gesture made Exsavior smirk with pride as he found new resolve to tackle the rest of the assignment. Unfortunately, as time passed, Exsavior became stumped once more.

       In his defense, none of the other questions were similar to the first, or even spoke about the same things. They just became more difficult, and he attempted to skip the ones he couldn’t grasp to solve others, but there was not one he understood.

      With a heave of frustration and a growl, Exsavior was about to rip his book apart, when Mia grabbed his hands.

       “Exsavior, calm down, don’t make a scene just let me help you,” she tried.