Chapter 48 Hearts that Hurt

Chapter 48

Hearts that Hurt

“Smile, the worst has yet to come, we’ll be lucky if we ever see the sun.”

~Mikky Ekko~

          The water splashed on his feet as they stomped on the grass.

          His heart thumped in his chest like a scared wolf.

          His breath forced its way out of his lungs, as if unwilling to be caged.

          His mind numb, lost to the unbelievable truth.

          It was a mechanic rush that surged through his legs. They made him move forward, uncaring where they would take him.

          Above his head, the clouds poured on him, drenching his clothes, but he could not feel the rain, for his senses succumbed to the overpowering sensation—a feeling that was difficult to grasp. It was pain, but it felt like his entire body became hollow from within. As if he was glass and his heart turned to stone, rattling inside the fragility of his shell and threatening to break him.

      During his run, his feet fumbled—something that was not normal in him. He stumbled but maintained his balance, until he could not anymore.

         It was a weakening emotion that drained him of everything that he was, and he allowed it to take him spiraling to the ground. His palms landed first, knees touching the humid grass, as his eyes remained plastered on the back of his hands.

      They were wide and lost, numb from the feel and knowing only to watch. Their brown depth submerged in tears; a fluid his body was not accustomed to. He felt a spasm every now and then, as his brain reminded him of the recent events. It was as if it taunted him; for a second he would forget only to relive it almost instantly.

          Never had he felt such an overwhelming pain.

          Not since his pack had died.

         With one hand, he grabbed his chest and felt his heart. It thumped strongly, and he could not fathom how that vital organ could bear such an intense feeling. That’s when his face contorted, and the sobs threatened to surface. The tears merging like small waterfalls with the rain, and for the moment he felt alone.

          Very alone…

          It saddened him, as if he was beside himself, watching how no one soothed his pain.

          No one ever did…

          No one ever came…

          When he needed it most, his chocolate eyes would rise and scan his surroundings, only to find the darkness he was so used to seeing.

        It made him feel sorry for himself. There wasn’t anyone who would pity him anyway, so he wished to comfort his pained heart—trying desperately to whisper hope and reassurance for his own ears.

          ‘You will get through this.’ He would say.

          ‘Just be strong.’ But he was tired of being that. All he wanted was for someone to be there—someone to just say those words to him. To say that it will be alright because he was not alone.