Chapter 31 She Lives in a Fairy-tale; They were Goddesses part 1

Chapter 31

She Lives in a Fairytale

            ~They were Goddesses part 1~

"So go get your shovel and we'll dig a deep hole to bury the castle."

~Paramore
~

        Haldus's rabbit-hole trick returned Isabel and Exsavior back to the forest that separated the Reserve from the outside world. Isabel remembered it clearly; the alpha's power was indeed unique and remarkable. She could only pray that Exsavior would be as powerful or even more in the near future.

        Almost tripping on a few books that fell to the floor, Isabel struggled with the load she carried. After talking to Haldus and Jasmine, she felt as if something was amiss, and it urged her to investigate. The words Anima and War of the Fifth struck her as suspicious. The connection was obvious between them, but what did they mean now?

        'Margery was part of the council as Locke, Ezekias and Exsavior's dad. Seeing on how she sent Exsavior to Haldus, Margery must have known something about the Anima.' Isabel sat down in her chair and put the old books on her apothecary table. She knew what the Anima was, and the methods behind its utilization, but she ignored the connection between it all, if there was any.

        Isabel skimmed through the pages of a few books, searching for any vital information that was eluding her. With an Angel amongst them, Exsavior tapping into his Anima and Ezekias after another Black Night, Isabel could only believe that they were disregarding crucial clues to something bigger.

        'Ezekias wants nothing but the end of humanity and the supremacy of the Immortals. Followers of the Black Night all adhere to such a tenet, but why hasn't he made the attempt?' At first, Isabel assumed that the old man was biding his time, gathering up strong Immortals for the insurgence. However, after the Oakhurst terrorist incident, Ezekias's motives became more obscure.

        The old witch did not seem to be after comrades alone. Locke might have been a perfect candidate for his war, and even though the trickster rejected the proposal, Ezekias still managed to cause uproar with the Aberhants.

        'Why use the Aberhants if Locke and the vampire were the targets?'

      Then there was Margery, her attacker was one of Ezekias's pawns, making him the indirect cause of her death. The troubling part was not that Ezekias had comrades powerful enough to take down a five-hundred year old shapeshifter—no, it was the sheer fact that Ezekias was a step ahead of Margery.

        Exsavior's last words with the shapeshifter dealt with the Sierra Reserve, which meant that she knew that Haldus would give him crucial information—knowledge that Ezekias tried to keep hidden.

       One sigh escaped her lips when she realized that all the books were skimmed through. "Maybe I'm overthinking things...," Isabel said to herself, while massaging the bridge of her nose. She stood with apathy and went to open the window of her bedroom. Her bored and tired eyes gazed into the premature night that showered her neighborhood when she allowed the soft breeze to ease her worries.

      No one else would ponder over the situation as hard as her, not Mia nor David let alone Exsavior. Therefore, it was up to Isabel to grab whatever little control she could of the predicament. If not, Ezekias would do away with all of them with little effort.

        "I could use a cigarette right about now," Isabel said for only her solitude to hear. No one really knew about her small vice, except for Mia. Her friend did not mind it, but she knew that David would dislike it. Nevertheless, being an Immortal and having so much to deal with that normal teens would never have to endure called for some serious issues. Isabel was glad that her way of coping was not as bad as going off on a killing spree.