Chapter 40 Pain Demands to be Felt

Chapter 40

Pain Demands to be Felt

“When I see your monsters, I’ll stand there so brave and chase them all away.”

~Timeflies, Katie Sky~

          She felt him, trying to break through and figure out her pain. But Mia refused to allow Exsavior through. She did not know exactly how it worked—their psychic connection—but she could tell when it was triggered. Somehow, her pain was alerting him, and even though that made her happy, she did not want to be that person, the type that relied on others for strength.

          Standing up and moving towards her apartment window, Mia opened it and tried desperately to calm her nerves with the night air. Her fight with Lynn was the most intense argument they had in years, and it brought up those negative feelings she had of herself.

        No matter what she did, Mia always felt like a burden. It was no wonder why her mother abandoned her—it was no wonder why her sister resented her. All Mia was capable of doing was bringing about pain to others.

          ‘Exsavior…’

         A lone tear fell down her cheek, causing her hand to reach up and touch it. She thought she was all cried out, but apparently the idea of hurting Exsavior was empowering her sorrow. Ever since the battle with that witch, Mia could not bring herself to face Exsavior. Deep down, she knew he would not resent her, and she also knew perfectly well that he would still want to stick by her no matter what.

          So why was that bad?

         “Angels are not of this world…is it really wrong to stay earthbound?” Watching the tall buildings of Oakhurst from afar, Mia’s eyes dimmed. This was her home, even if she did not have the ideal life—Oakhurst was still her home. 

         Could she really turn her back on it just like that? Could she leave it all—never to return again?

       It was then that the tears became uncontrollable. Leaving the windowsill, Mia found her bed and fell on top of it. She cried and sobbed to herself, unsure of what would become of her life—unsure whether or not she would have the strength to pull through and do what was right.

        ‘Mia, Mia! Are you alright…? I can feel it—the pain, it’s excruciating. Please don’t shut me out!’

          She could hear his voice, calling out to her—that beautiful gruff sound that soothed her heart. With every fiber of her being, Mia fought hard against the desire to embrace Exsavior. He meant everything to her, and there was no way she would selfishly hurt him further. This was a decision that she needed to make on her own, and she needed to learn to be strong without him.

          ‘Mia, Mia, please answer me!’

          With every call, Mia let loose more tears until her body was exhausted enough to find sleep. Never once did she answer Exsavior, for she knew that there was no point in worrying him over things that have yet to happen.

          If one day her departure would come, then she would deal with it and explain it to everyone, but until that day came, there was no reason to let them know.