Chapter 15 Checkmate; Dance of the Wild Melody Final

Chapter 15

Checkmate
          ~Dance of the Wild Melody Final~

“You whom I want to protect. I’d rather take down the enemies and go out with a bang.”

~SID~

          The rustling of grass, the trembling of the ground, it was all so ominous.

         ‘Whatever is approaching, it’s nothing I’ve ever encountered.’ Exsavior’s austere expression hid away his surprise at the magnitude of the presence that was nearing.

          He could see the ripples of the nearby pond, forming with each step. It didn’t take long after for the being to reveal itself onto him.

          His eyes widened and his austerity dissipated.

          “Wha-What are you?” He asked it, but the beast just moaned.

          It obviously lacked the ability to communicate; either that or it did not wish to do so. With one lunge, the beast lashed out towards Exsavior in an incredible speed, destroying most of the tree he was in.

        It was ghastly and monstrous, having limbs the size of a gorilla with claws resembling a mythical dragon, and a hump-like back with no neck. Its size was that of a tower, and its skin was brown and scaly, only the protruding overgrown nerves of its muscles could be distinguished from its putrid like coating. Its eyes rattled Exsavior, as it stared directly at him. They were large and red, but somehow they appeared almost human-like, as if there was something else behind them.

          The speed and strength of the attack surprised Exsavior, but even so, he managed to easily dodge it. Within seconds of his movement, he morphed into a large wolf as he prepared himself. The shreds of his clothing flew gracefully around him like a cloud of confetti.

          Even with his newly acquired size, Exsavior’s ten feet form still came off short in comparison to the monstrosity. The creature wailed and whipped his scaly tail towards him, but Exsavior’s swiftness favored him. He moved away from the strikes, as he attempted to remove the distance between him and the beast. Nevertheless, the tail swayed with ease as it whiplashed with ferocity, striking Exsavior on his side in a surprise counter.

         The assault effortlessly cut through his fur and skin, drawing out blood. Exsavior’s side burned with pain but he refused to flee as he stared down the creature. He waited, never forgetting about the serpent like ligament that lashed and whipped behind him.

        Two against one—no—I can’t be overwhelmed by such an attack. Moreover, it hasn’t even broken a sweat.’ He focused his thoughts as he analyzed the beast, and another strike was thrown at him.

          Evading the first one, he perspicaciously foresaw the second assault, making it simple for him to avoid. ‘I knew it, due to its enormous size; it can only do so much at such speed.’

          After he dodged, the distance that put him at a disadvantage was lifted, while he swiftly closed in on the creature. Exsavior sunk his claws deep within the beast’s arm, lopping it off like it was nothing.