Chapter 49 Screams that Sound the Same

Chapter 49

Screams that Sound the Same

“Soon it will be over and buried with our pasts.”

~Of Monster’s and Men~

                                    One long month came and went.

         Every day was the same. Exsavior would train in the woods with David as Jasmine watched. She would give them pointers to help, and every day they would improve.

       Exsavior was not the same. He fell into a rut, in the morning school and then afterschool sessions. Late nights, he would study and train. David did notice the change, the monotone behavior was not something he was used to seeing in his Alpha, but nevertheless, he refrained from saying anything.

         Instead they practiced, and once they finished, they would part ways.   David knew that Exsavior would not be up to talking, and he was feeling just the same. In fact, there was not a day that went by where he wouldn’t be caught in his own thoughts.

         Slowly, much like every other day, David moved about a hidden spot he secluded in the density of the Willowbrook park woods. Being a Sunday, there was not much for them to do. His training session was done for the day, and he knew Exsavior would most likely prepare for his visit back to Jasmine’s pack tomorrow. This gave him too much time on his hands, even though David would accompany Exsavior this time around, he did not feel an ounce of urgency to organize his bearings.

         Lately, nothing seemed urgent or of any importance to him. The only thing that made sense was to train—to become stronger so that the sight before him would never repeat itself. Because as of that moment, he was torn—so torn apart as if there was nothing he could do.

         But he did force himself to do something…

         Three wooden crosses stood in a horizontal line. They were nicely etched and uniquely distinct from any other common tombstone. Each one bore sigils from Exsavior’s pack; it was only natural that David learned of the ways of his ancestors, but even so, no one knew he was putting them into practice.

         The graves weren’t a particular custom rather the etchings which he carved with his own claws. Being able to retract those large white claws at whim during human form finally came in handy.

         Finally, the sun started to descend and tickle his eyes; this made David not hesitate any longer. He sat down before the three graves and smiled with tearful eyes. A phrase slipped his lips as he greeted his three fallen friends. From there he did what he would always do when he started to visit them; David spoke to the three and told them everything new in his life.

         And before the sun threatened to completely set, he stood and wiped his tears. In the back of his head, he knew that there was something he was avoiding—something that he was afraid of.

         But the question would always nag him—could he be strong enough for them? He knew that ever since his friends ‘disappeared’ their families were suffering. The best thing he could do was give his condolences and visit—but he felt scared and weak as if fearing he’d break down and say it was his fault. They wouldn’t understand it and probably dismiss it, but he was still afraid of the off chance they’d believe him.