Chapter 5 Under the Night Sky

Chapter 5

Under the Night Sky

“The whole world is scared, so I’ll just swallow its fear…”

~P!nk~

         Exsavior sighed, relishing in the cool air that brushed his face as he lay on his back on the moist grass. He was shirtless and alone in some unknown park that was not too far from Lily’s house. He did not know whether or not they were looking for him, and he did not care. All he did know was that he was supposed to be looking for Isabel, but not even that was something he cared to do at the moment.

         ‘What am I supposed to do father?’ He thought, as he stared at the beautiful stars in awe. He remembered all the constellations his kin would marvel at.

         The light formations revealed the truth of his ancestry. The victory of Odin—riding the wolf over the night sky to devour the sun in aim to raise the power of the moon—was his favorite.

         ‘I dream to ride the sky and run with the moon…’ It was what he used to say to his mother, every time they would sit back to watch them together. Lifting his arm, he imagined the form of a small wolf made of stars following the path of his finger, as he played chase with them.

         “An uncatchable dream…” He said in a sigh as he dropped his hand.

         “What is?” In an instant, a feminine voice caught his attention. It flooded his nostrils almost like a wave of sedatives—the scent of moonflowers.

         He looked up curiously, lifting himself up. His eyes met her green depths and he lost himself in them. She was beautiful under the glow of the night as if the source of its radiance. Her silky brown hair cascaded freely on her back with the wind shaking it every now and then, making her scent fly into the air.

         “Oh um…it’s nothing I was just…” He stammered with his words, feeling exposed without his shirt. Scrambling to put it on, Mia just kicked the piece of clothing towards him, while completing his thought.

         “You were just talking to yourself.” She said playfully, narrowing her eyes at him.

         Exsavior almost turned red from the embarrassment, but he calmed himself when he put on his shirt. Mia sat down next to him, as she put her backpack down. She was still in her school uniform, and Exsavior could not help but eye her in curiosity. She did not look at him; her stare graced the flickering stars instead of his own orbs.

         “Your name’s Exsavior, right?” She finally spoke without looking at him.

         “Yes and your name is Mia.” He stated firmly.

         This time, she looked at him with a suspicious smile. “How do you do that?”

         Confused, he spoke. “Do what?”

         “You know…you talk as if you’re trying to get everyone to fall in love with you.” She said, as she broke her gaze to look back at the sky. Her smile only grew in size, anticipating his self-consciousness.