Chapter 38 That's How the Story Goes

Chapter 38

That's How the Story Goes

"In the middle of the night, when the Angels scream...it's time to do or die."

~Thirty Seconds to Mars~

         'Death ends a life, but not a reality...death ends a life, but not a reality...death...ends...a life...'

         Her fading eyes stared blankly at the sheets that covered her legs. The tears that streamed down coated its navy blue hue, creating the silhouettes of each droplet.

         Lynn repeated the phrase in her head so many times, but no matter how much she reminded herself, it did not soothe her pain. The Covenant taught their pupils to live by that code, but was it truly worth upholding? It was the Covenant itself that destroyed Darius.

         "Darius..." She wanted to scream his name, and cry out freely, but everything in her body was working against it.

         "Here...drink this. It will help." Locke's voice chimed in to break her unhappy thoughts.

         She did not bother to look up; she did not bother to ask where she was or how he found her. The only thing Lynn could assume was that she was in his bedroom.

         A soft warmth seeped into the palms of her hands as the cup he held was passed to her. Lynn's green saddened eyes watched the gooey liquid—reminding her of the llyrium. She did not question it, but somehow she knew it was not the same potion she was accustomed in taking.

         "This isn't llyrium..." Her voice, although low and whispered, sounded agitated.

         Locke folded his arms across his chest, the playful mien he usually adorned his features with long gone.

         "That stuff in the long wrong will control you. This is Ambrosia, it's better and safer."

       Lynn went silent again at his words. She took a sip at the gooey golden liquid and felt its warmth penetrate anything that it touched. It made her skin tingle and it lifted much of her fatigue. The Ambrosia was magical—it was even alleviating her sorrow.

         But when Lynn noticed that, she finally stared up at Locke with hard angry eyes.

         In one instant, the cup flew across the room and splattered all over his walls. It whisked past him, but Locke remained stoic and unmoving at the violent gesture.

         "What the fuck are you trying to pull? I don't need you to save me from this!" she screamed with angry tears, her face red and flushed and her body trembling.

         Lynn's fists balled up instinctively, as she awaited his answer.

         "I am simply looking out for your well-being..."

         "Bullshit! Why do you care? Why are you hanging around us? I—" she started to scream again as she neared his towering form; her red hair that was usually braided to one side—freed itself in a chaotic mess. Grabbing onto his chest, Lynn pushed Locke as hard as possible. "I...don't...need...you!" her voice boomed throughout his home, and it cracked under her sobbing. But Lynn never once ceased yelling the phrase as her feeble attempts to push Locke away became futile.