Chapter 39 St. Peter's List

Chapter 39

St. Peter’s List

“We’re all fighting growing old, in the hopes of a few minutes more.”

~Fall Out Boy~

          The wrinkles on the back of his hands were irksome. He despised looking at his skin that way, but ever since that day, it was inevitable. Age was claiming him, and it was relentless. No matter how many spells, tricks, or powers he obtained nothing changed the process.

          “You beckoned, Master?” Taking his old brown eyes off of his hands, Ezekias faced the remaining witches and Conan.

          “Yes, I have rather important matters to discuss with you all.” he spoke, like a king before his subjects from the chair of his study.

          “Where are Olivia and Caris?” asked Lorelei, the older of the witches.

          Upon hearing those names, Ezekias’s eyes twinkled and he fought the urge to smirk. Their arrogance put them in the situation that they were in now—one dead and the other imprisoned.

          “Olivia has been sent off elsewhere in order to train for the nearing battle. As for Caris…” he paused and took out the rusty key that Caris found for him.

          “Caris betrayed me—so she paid the price.” Ezekias said each word slowly, as if wanting them to assess the gravity of treason. Never once did he stop caressing the key that he flaunted before them.

          “Caris and Anise both betrayed you, Master?” Lorelei’s voice dared to sound skeptical, but she spoke with caution.

          “Do you doubt me Lorelei?” Ezekias questioned.

          “No, of course not.” She did not hesitate to respond.

          “Well good then. In any case, I have gathered you three here since you are my remaining allies to let you all know of what has happened, and to warn you.” This time his eyes went stern and menacing. It was obvious that Ezekias was having a hard time trusting anyone after all the betrayals.

         “If you are planning to defy me, know that it will not end well for you. This—” he stopped himself to stand and address the key. “—is the testament of Caris's failure. Had she been successful, Skylar would never see freedom. Now, I want you all to tell me one thing.”

          Again he paused to watch them, trying to see if they were hiding anything. Conan seemed distant almost in a daze, and Rose held a stern demeanor as if she was angered by something. Then there was Lorelei, long curly black hair and electric blue eyes plastered on her flawless porcelain skin. She was tall and slender, having a perfect athletic body, and her expression held nothing but reverence for Ezekias.

         But Lorelei never showed anything else towards him—and that now made Ezekias suspicious.

          “What is your purpose of fighting alongside me?” he asked them all.

          “I will follow Olivia and protect her no matter what, and I will aid you Master as long as you will have me.” Conan instantly spoke without any hesitation.