I Could Tell That She Was Curious

Harry's POV

I was just drawn to this girl.
It was like some kind of a magnetic pull toward her.

Maybe we were kindred spirits or maybe she was a "little sister" kind of friend who I needed to be there for and protect, I didn't know.

Something was telling me that I needed to be in her life somehow.

Before I knew it, I was following her.

She made her way to the back of the house, stepped out onto the deck and stopped at the poolside bar.

She handed a bartender her empty glass, took a filled one back and stepped down the deck stairs onto the beach.

I walked down the stairs and stopped at the bottom to watch her. She was just standing, looking out at the ocean.

I walked toward her, but stopped about ten feet away because she couldn't hear me coming. I didn't want to startle her, but just as I stopped, she turned around.

"WHOA!" She flinched when she saw me and we both quickly raised our hands out in front of us, me in peace, her in defense.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, that was literally exactly what I did not want to happen, please, I just wanted to have a chat", I lowered my hands.

"JEEZ, Bud", she put a hand on her heart and laughed, "UHHH...", she started walking back toward the deck steps.

I walked next to her, "I'm Harry" I held out my hand.

"Hi Harry", she took it politely and shook it, "I'm....still catching my breath", she breathed, smiling.

Both of our hair was flying in our faces from the wind and we kept pulling it away to be able to see.

"Would you come inside with me? I really would like to have a chat"

"Am I in trouble?", she smiled, "The way you say that sounds like I'm about to have a lecture" she said giggling at the last word.

"You might get one if you don't come with me", I glared at her.

She looked me in the eye and furrowed her eyebrows.
"O...kay...I think you might ne-", the way she looked at me like I was insane made me crack a smile.

"I'm kidding", I laughed, "come on, have a drink with me. Please"

She gave me a smile that people give someone when they think they're crazy, but she was amused and I could tell that she was curious.

I handed her a glass of wine and she thanked me.
"I'm Lila"

Tom, seriously? You can't remember your fiancé's cousin's name?

"Yeah, I asked Tom who you were. It's nice to meet you", I smiled.

"You too, Harry", she raised an eyebrow, "so you were asking about me, huh?"

"Yes"
"And what did you learn from Tom?"

"That....you don't date...", I wasn't sure wether or not to finish the sentence.

"Ah." She smiled to herself, "Tom speaks the truth".

Tom said she was gay, but he didn't say she didn't date. My curiosity came through.

"Why don't you date?", I asked.

She looked at me like I was absurd, "Why? Why should I? Dating only leads to people getting hurt".

"That's not all it does"
She smiled, "No, it's not all".
She had an odd expression on her face as she took a sip of her wine. I couldn't read it. It looked like a mixture of amusement and....vanity?

She swallowed and said, "You do know that you can know and love people without being in a romantic relationship with them, right?"
She looked at me with genuine curiosity.

"But they can't know you entirely" I said truthfully.

"I don't want anyone to know me entirely!", she laughed, "JEEZ, that's a terrifying thought!!"

I didn't say anything, I just looked at her as she laughed, her dimples were endearing, she was too beautiful, but too careless.

Something in me wanted to change that.

She took the last swig of her drink.
"I'm going in for another", she said and nudged my shoulder with her elbow like a pal would do.

I watched her half walk, half goofily dance to the bar, making fun of herself.

I decided then and there that I was going to make this carefree girl care.
About me.