I See You

(Niall)

I walked to the front doors of the restaurant, looking out at the parking lot.

Lila was sitting on a bench with her head tilted down and her hands wrapped around the edge of the seat.
One of the valets was sitting next to her.

I pushed through the doors and quickly walked over to her.

"Lila?", I said loudly, making her and the valet turn their heads, the valet jumped to his feet with a guilty look on his face.

Does he have something to feel guilty about?

I stood over her and she looked up at me.

"Niall, I'm so sorry, I was just feeling a little crowded, I came out here to get some air", she apologized, very quickly.

I looked over at the valet.
"Should I get your car, sir?", he said, also quickly.

I nodded once and he quickly moved to get my keys from the valet cabinet.

"You scared me, Lila", I said with my hands on my hips.
"Why didn't you tell me? I'd have come with you", I said, looking over at the valet.

"I know, Niall, I'm sorry", she inhaled deeply.

I sat down next to her.

"I didn't....I didn't mean to embarrass or upset you or anything. I don't care where you live", I put my hand on her arm.

"It's not where I live, it's who I live with", she said, looking down at her knees.

(Unknown)

Still in my car across from Le Heureux Matin, I straitened up in my seat when she suddenly came through the front doors. Alone.

She took a few steps, then stopped.
She bent down and put her hands on her knees, like someone does when they're out of breath.

I watched a young man, one of the valets, run over to her and put his hand on her back and leaned down,
trying to meet her eyes.

She stood up and kept holding her hands out in front of herself, as if saying "back away", but the valet kept talking to her.

She wiped at her cheeks.
She was crying while the valet kept trying to usher her over to a nearby bench.

After a few minutes of sitting and talking, she looked calm.

Then he came out of the restaurant.

He looked angry and I could see him say her name.

The valet jumped up and he walked fast over to them, standing over her.

It took every shred of self-control that I had to not jump out and run over there.

(Niall)

"It's not where I live, it's who I live with", she said, looking down at her knees.

I shifted to fully face her, waiting for her to go on.

"I live with my fiancé", she barely whispered, but I heard it clearly.

My chest froze and instinctively, I looked down at her left hand, but there was no ring.

"I'm so....", she took a deep breath in, "I don't know what I'm doing anymore", she said and I could tell she was more thinking aloud than talking to me.

"I love Zayn....", she trailed off.

Zayn?
Zayn Malik?
The music producer?

My head is spinning for different reasons, all at once, right now.

She went on, looking into space, and sounded almost like she was giving a confession in court or in church.

"And then I met Harry...."

O...kay, another man...

"I just keep doing things to just feel free of any "title" in my life", she looked up at me, "Actually....I'm realizing more and more....", she looked down at my lips.

Dear God.
The way she's looking at me

"....that I'm doing things to free myself of just one title. "Zayn's fiancé.", she finished, looking me in the eyes, then back down at my lips.

I knew what she wanted.

I leaned in, but before I reached her lips, a loud horn honked for at least five seconds, making us jump and look over to the noise.

There were a few cars parked over where it came from, but no one was in any of them.

Lila quickly stood up and I copied her.

She looked over to the valet who had pulled my truck up and had been standing, holding the passenger door open for her for who knows how long.

She then looked at the road and started to walk toward it.

"Lila", I called and went after her, "Lila, will you stop?"

She stopped and turned to face me.

"Niall, you're a really sweet man. I like you a lot. I know you like me too....but trust me when I tell you that the best thing you could possibly do is walk away, stay away from me", she said, sadly.

(Kalila)

I'm officially fucked up beyond hope

I looked at this blonde man across from me, his eyes sad, matching mine, his hands held out.

Then his features changed and he looked serious.

"Lila, tell me why you were naked except for only a man's shirt on you when I picked you up today.", Niall said, catching me off-guard.

I stood there, looking at him blankly.

"Tell me why you don't have your phone, your keys, nothing", he said a little loudly.

I looked down at my feet.
He knew why.

"Why do I get the feeling that a lot of your time is spent running away", his hands went to is hips again, "Away from....everything. Everyone?".

I looked up to him and into his blue eyes and stilled.

His eyes made me think of one of my favorite poems.
I kept looking into them and recited.

"I'll get restless, I'll get cold
My thoughts will wander
Your heart will fold
The distance I make
I'll blame it on you
All because my eyes saw you

If I leave, you feel empty
If I stay, you'll beg for peace
It's happened before
And you're not the last
There's always another
That my eyes will see

Where do you go
Where I'm not
Without me, you have a shot
Why are you fighting
You always knew
To run from these eyes
Looking at you"

(Niall)

My heart hurt, listening to the words this beautiful, broken girl said.

I stood there, silenced, watching her walk away.