Knight

(Kalila)

Gwen looked embarrassed.

"I just don't want you to feel like you're hanging out with some kid", she looked at her glass.

I sat there smiling, the combination of the alcohol and medicine made me giddy.

"What?", Gwen laughed out.

"How old do you think I am?", I asked her.

"Twenty....two? Three?", she asked.

"I'm seventeen", I said.
My face felt warm.
My body felt a little numb.

"No you're not",
Gwen rolled her eyes at me.
"I am"
"There's no way. You look..."
"I think it's my cheekbones", I said to her. "I don't know. I've always looked older than my age"

Gwen searched my face for any deceit.
"Let me see your driver's license", she raised her eyebrows and narrowed her eyes at me.

I reached down and up into my dress and Gwen looked at me with suspicious and confused eyes.

Gwen stared at me and I smiled, pulling my dress up, showing her the lacy wrap with little pockets around my thigh.

"I wear it anytime I'm wearing a skirt or a dress and know I'm going to be dancing. I don't have to deal with keeping track of a purse", I grinned.

"Oh my gosh, that's the coolest thing!", Gwen exclaimed as she looked at the things I had tucked into the pockets, ID, credit card, cell phone and a tiny miniature tube of hand sanitizer

I pulled my fake ID out of one of the pockets, handed it to Gwen and she looked at it, then read aloud.

"Cameron Slaubaugh....date of birth, April 4, 1994", she looked at me and back to the ID.
"She looks nothing like you", she scoffed and handed it back to me.
"And it's been expired for a year", she said as she reached into her purse.

"Ah, people barely look, they just want to see the year", I waved her words away.

Gwen handed me her license and I saw that she was in the actual photograph on it. Her name was her own and her date of birth made her twenty-one.

"This is flawless, how the hell?", I smiled, looking at her.

"Niall", she said simply.
"Always trying to get me to loosen up. That was his birthday gift to me when I turned seventeen my sophomore year", she smirked and took it when I handed it back to her.

"Well look at us, Lila. Two kids in a bar", Gwen said.

"Well, we deserve to let off some steam, once in a while, right?", I held up my glass and Gwen clinked hers against it.

"Okay, hold on", she looked at me seriously.
"If....you're seventeen"

Gwen held her hands up like she was trying to get her bearings.

"Where are your parents?", she asked, leaning closer to me.

"I have no idea", I answered, pressing my lips into a thin lined smile.

"When I was really little, I was seen on a street, by myself. Someone called the police and I was taken to the police station, then they called CPS".

Gwen looked confused.

"Child Protective Services", I said.

Gwen's jaw was dropped open.
"What??", then she smiled and narrowed her eyes again, "No. You're fucking with me"