Chapter 22: Duties

Hunter's POV

Mother and Beta Mia followed the train throughout the night. We kept them up to date once in a while.

"We should get some sleep.  Who knows when we will sleep again." I said.

She nodded at me. We howled goodnight to our parents. I went to my spot and tried to sleep. Mandy curled in ball. She started to hum a song in her head. I fell asleep to her humming. I was woken up by Mandy jumping on me.

"Hunter wake up!" She screamed. 

"What-what is it?" I asked.

"We missed the stop." She said.

I jumped up and felt the train was moving.

"Where's my mother?" I asked.

"She's probably following the train or where the train stops." Mandy said.

I looked outside and saw it was bright out. I looked to see if I could see my mother. She was nowhere in sight.

"What are we going to do?" She asked.

"We have to jump off." I said.

"Jump? We are going to die!" Mandy said.

"We won't." I said.

I looked to my left to see if I could see a patch of grass. After a couple of minutes, I saw grass up ahead. I got behind of Mandy.

"Hit the dust." I said.

I pushed her off and she went flying. She landed on the patch of grass. She got up and started running.

"Hunter you have to jump!" Mandy yelled.

I backed up a bit and took a leap of faith. I landed into a bush. Mandy ran over to me.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"I'm just peachy." I said as I climbed out.

I felt thorns along my side. I pulled them out with my teeth. I spit them out onto the ground.

"Let's go find the others." I said.

I walked past Mandy and began walking. I felt a sharp pain in the tip of my tail. I turned around and saw Mandy had a thorn in her mouth.

"You missed one." She said as she laughed.

I growled. I started running and Mandy followed. We were running for over a half an hour when I heard a howl. I stopped in my tracks and listened.

"Where are you?" My mother asked.

"We missed the stop. We will be there soon." I said back.

I looked behind me and saw Mandy was far behind. I growled. I ran over to her.

"Come on they are waiting for us." I said.

I picked her up with my mouth and started running. Within twenty minutes, we found our parents. I dropped Mandy onto her feet.

"I'm still mad that you ran off." Beta Mia said as she walked over to Mandy.

"Please tell me you brought us clothes." I said.

My mother dropped the bag that was in her mouth.

"You're lucky." She said.

I rub my head against hers.

"Where's father?" I asked.

"Locked away. I gave orders not to release him until I get back." She said.