Chapter 56: Unsteady

I knocked on Ava's door and waited. I didn't hear her, so I knocked again.

"Ava, I need to talk to you." I said.

I opened the door and saw she had her headphones on. She looked up at me and turned down her music.

"What's up mom?" She asked as she sat up.

"Not much, how about you?" I asked.

"I'm just scrolling through social media." Ava said.

We sat in an awkward silence for a minute. I had so much to tell Ava, but where do I begin? I completely forgot about my plan and thought about all the things I had to say. 

"What do you have to tell me mom? I can sense that you want to talk to me about something. What is it?" Ava asked.

"You have never talked about that dream you have. What is your dream about?" I asked.

"It's very weird. I dream about a man holding a baby. The man never speaks to the baby. He sets the baby down and walks away. I see wolves attacking the man and ripping off his head. There's another person there getting their head ripped off as well. I can never make the people out. The baby is picked up by a woman. Her face is blurry, as the other faces are. I wake up after the baby is being picked up." She said.

Ava is remembering the night where she was stolen. Fuck, I thought I could get away with never telling her it. How do I even tell her? Do I tell her a story like how I told Xavier he was adopted?

"Do you know why I'm having these dreams?" Ava asked.

I looked at her and saw the sadness in her eyes. I swallowed down hard.

"No I don't. I had dreams like that when I was younger. They should go away soon."  I lied.

I didn't want to tell Ava about her grandfather because I felt like it was scar her for life. I would have to tell her at some point, just not right now. I knew I had to tell her about Xavier, that wouldn't scare her.

"I told a story to Xavier earlier today. I want to tell you the same story." I said.

"Is it about our pack?" She asked.

"No, it's about me. Many years ago your father was tracking a rogue that got into our territory. Your father spent weeks tracking that rogue. He was heading home one day and the rogue began chasing him. I rushed to save him. I found your father and began looking for the rogue. I caught the scent of it in a bush. I jumped into the bush and found a little boy. He was so small and covered in dirt.  The boy was a rogue. His parents were also rogues. They had died and left the boy behind. I took the little boy home and took care of him." I said.

"The little boy was Xavier wasn't it?" Ava asked.

"It was. I just told him today he was adopted. I don't know how he will react when he gets back to the house, so prepare yourself." I said.

"Prepare for what? Screaming and crying? I got this, I'm close to Xavier." She said.

"I knew I could count on you." I said.

I got up and walked over to the door.

"Before you go, can you sign a form for me? I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I really want to go." Ava said.

I turned back around and looked the forms from her. I signed them, not bothering to read the forms. I handed them back to her.

"I'll call you when dinner is ready." I said.

I walked back over to the door and left her room. I closed her door behind me and walked back downstairs. I walked into the kitchen and saw Mandy and Chris was still sat there.