Chapter 36: Staying away

The trip to Sophie's was quiet. The only thing I heard was the radio. After what seems like forever, I pulled into Sophie's driveway. I turned the car in park and shut it off.

"Stay here." I said to Mandy.

She nodded. I got out of the car and shut it behind me. Sophie was sat outside on her deck. She stood up and walked down the stairs.

"Luna." She said as she got closer.

"Don't call me that." I said.

I pulled her into a hug. She hugged me back.

"What's wrong? What did Hunter do? Did he cheat on you? If he did, I swear!" Sophie said.

"He didn't cheat on me. It's a lot to explain. You have to be open minded." I said.

"Okay." She said.

I led her over to the car and brought her to the side where Xavier was. She looked into the window and saw him.

"You had a kid?" Sophie asked.

"No, I found him." I said as I opened the door.

I unbuckled the straps and lifted him out of the car seat. I placed him on the ground where he walked over to Sophie.

"He's so cute. What's this got to do with you wanting to come over here?" She asked.

"I rather say it inside." I said.

"Understandable. Come on then." Sophie said.

I grabbed the bags and closed the door. Mandy hopped out and I locked the doors. I put the backpack on and held the other bag. I took Xavier's hand and followed Sophie to the house. I helped Xavier up the stairs and into the house.

"My parents live in the house next door. They built this house for me after graduation." Sophie said as we walked thru.

"I know Sophie; I was the one who gave your parent's permission." I said.

"Oh right. I forget you're the Luna some times." She said.

Sophie brought us down to her basement. There was a couch, a love seat, and so much more. It looked like a typical teenager's basement. There was a pool table in one of the corners with five feet of dust on it.

"I don't come down here much." Sophie said.

"I'd be living down here." Mandy said as she looked around.

Xavier was running around, exploring the basement. I placed the bags on the floor and sat down on the couch. Sophie sat down beside me.

"Now, what's up with the kid?" She asked me.

"I found him while I was out on a run. Hunter wants me to give him to a adoption center." I said.

"Why? He's so cute and he clearly loves you." Sophie said.

"Hunter had been tracking down a rogue for weeks. He asked for help, saying the rogue was chasing him. I went to his rescue. When I got there, I found Xavier. He was the rogue Hunter had been looking for." I explained.

"I get that he is a rogue, but he's only a child. He isn't a danger to anyone." Sophie said.

"Exactly! He's just being a prick." I said.

"A huge prick." Mandy said off in the distance.

"I need time away from him. I'll go back when I'm ready." I said.

"It can't long Aurora. You are the Luna, the pack needs you." Sophie said.

"I'll go back tomorrow night. No earlier and no later." I said.