Chapter 50: Lost child

I had my first child in September. Xavier started school that same month. While Xavier was at school, I stayed home to take care of the little one. Hunter and I decided we didn't want to know the gender of our child until the birth. I was woken up to really bad stomach pains. As I got up from the bed, my water broke. I woke Hunter up and he rushed me to the hospital. Luckily, Mandy was staying over that night. A doctor came over to me as I walked thru the front door. I was put onto a bed and started to push. After twenty minutes of hell, we all hear the baby cry. Hunter started crying.

"It's a girl." The doctor said.

He handed the little one off to a nurse to be cleaned. Hunter sat down beside the bed next to me. He wiped my face with his sleeve.

"It's the first girl in the family. All we ever had in the Smith family was boys." Hunter whispered to me.

I smiled at him as I was out of breath. I looked up at the clock on the wall and saw it was 5am. The nurse came over to me with my child in her arms. She carefully handed me her. She had a pink hat on that barely fit her head. I looked down at her. She opened her eyes and I looked into her deep blue eyes.

"What are we going to name her?"  Hunter asked.

"I like Ava." I said.

"Ava is it then." He said.

Mandy and Xavier came to the hospital to meet the new family member. Xavier loved her the minute he laid his eyes on her. As the months flew by, Ava got bigger. Werewolf pups grow faster than human babies. After Ava turned five months, the growth slowed down. Everyone loved Ava, since she was only baby in the family. Mandy came over to visit Ava a lot. Xavier was never jealous, he loved Ava. Ava and Xavier bonded well. Xavier shared his toys with Ava. 

I picked Xavier up from school every day. Sometimes I took Ava with me. Hunter had pack things to deal with. There were sights of more rogues near the pack territory. Hunter wanted to track them down and make sure they weren't a danger to us. I left Hunter to do his work most of the time. I did pack work of course, along with Ava sitting there entertaining me. We worried that Ava might be the runt of the litter.

I sat at my office desk, staring at my computer. Hunter and I had separate offices now. I had Ava is a high chair. Hunter was gone out tracking and Xavier had a play date with a friend from his school. I looked away from my computer screen and to Ava. She was playing with an empty cup and was laughing. I chuckled at her. My phone started ringing. I grabbed it and saw Hunter's face.

"Hello." I said as I picked up.

"Hey darling. We won't be back tonight.  Chris and I are still tracking the rogues. We will be back in the morning." Hunter said.

"That's fine. I'll get Mandy to come over tonight." I said.

"Sounds good." He said.

"Be safe please." I whispered to him.

"We will. I love you." Hunter said.

"I love you too. Tell Chris I said I love him." I said.

"I love you too!" Chris yelled.

I laughed at him.

"Have fun with the kids. Tell them I love them."Hunter said.

"I will." I said.

"Bye babe." He said.

"Bye." I said.

I hung the phone up. I looked down at the time. It was almost time to go pick up Xavier.

"Let's go get your brother Ava." I said with a baby voice.

I picked her up from her high car and walked out of the office. I walked down the stairs and to the closet. I grabbed Ava's coat and boots. I placed them on her and set her down. I put my coat and boots on quickly. I picked Ava back up and grabbed my purse. I made sure I had everything and headed out. I unlocked the car and put Ava in her car seat. I handed her a doll that Hunter had bought her and shut the door. I got into the front seat and started the car up. I turned the heat on and drove out of the drive way. Xavier's friend didn't live far from our house. I pulled into the driveway and saw Xavier was outside. He was playing with his friend. He saw me and ran over to the car. I got up and caught him as he jumped up.