"Happy birthday..." - chapter 1 (pilot)

Alissa's PoV.
I look around me, watching cars drive past on the busy roads of New York City while I kicked the stones lying beneath my feet, bored. I'm currently waiting outside the Brooklyn Academy of Art to see if my twin sister, Clary got in. To be honest, I'm not very good at being patient. After a long, agonising 40 minutes, i saw her walk out with a huge grin across her face.

"You got in?" I asked trying so hard to contain my excitement. She nodded her head as she handed me a piece of paper that had the words "congratulations" written in red, bold handwriting.

"I got in!" She screamed, making a few people stare at us weirdly as we jump up and down squealing with happiness. "Come on we have to go meet Simon, let's prank him again. We will walk in looking all sad before we surprise him"

"I bet ya he'll won't stop talking about how I should of got it if we tell him that." Clary sighed but she went along with the plan anyway as we walked into the cafe.

"Give me the professors names and I will end them." Simon started to ramble on as he saw us walking in. I had to cough to stop myself from laughing out loud. "You know... with a scathing email to the death"

"Don't bother" Clary said to a highly confused Simon, placing the letter down in-front of him as his frown eventually turned into a wide grin.

"Sad face. Really?" He sighed, shaking his head slightly. "Well played girls, well played"

"You know it's weird.... they kinda liked my assigned work, but they flipped out over the drawings for our graphic novel" Clary said as I stirred my Latte that Simon had just brought over.

"Maybe they liked your creativity?" I shrugged. "This day will go down in history as the greatest 18th birthday I ever had, my sister getting into the advanced art programme."

"Which is why we are celebrating tonight. Yes, with Maureen after our show." Simon said.

"Absolutely" Clary replied slowly before taking a sip of her latte.

"Soooooo... Simon what's the deal with you and Maureen" I asked as I wiggled my eyebrows, giggling slightly. But, Simon looked at me slightly puzzled.

"What deal? No deal. We sing together" He replied a little to quickly which made me raise my eyebrows at him. Why did he answer so nervously?

"You seriously don't know she's been crushing on you this whole time? It's so obvious that she likes you" Clary smirked at her best friend. But Simon just sighed and shook his head quickly.

"Simon how can someone as smart and perceptive as you not realise that the person sitting right there is in love with you?" I sighed, making him shift uncomfortably in his seat.

"I guarantee you I'm not the only smart, perceptive person to make that mistake" Simon replied as he stole a quick glance at Clary. It's too obvious he has this huge crush on her, ever since the first time they met. But, he thinks he can't tell Clary how he feels because it could ruin their friendship.

"Those are lattes" Simon laughed slightly at Clary as she looked down confused at the table.

"Yeah, but I could of sworn I had a biscotti" she replied puzzled, lifting her plate and sketchbook to look for the tiny biscuit.

"Maybe you ate it really fast and didn't even notice. Happens to me all the time. When I'm happy... when I'm sad. But I will replace your mythical biscotti with an actual one" Simon said putting another biscotti on her plate.