"Race against time."- S2 Chapter 20 ✨

Alissa's PoV
Clary, Jace and I looked around Brady park trying to find any clues on where Madzie could be. But there was nothing to be found.

"Are you sure this is the park Alec was talking about?" Clary asked Jace.

"Positive." He replied as he kneeled on the ground. "See this scorched grass? Someone opened a portal." I watched as Simon ran over to us.

"Nothing over there and without the wolves to help us pick up a scent, this is gonna take forever." Simon explained as I sighed.

"We don't have forever. Everyone keep looking." Jace said as Simon looked around.

"Maybe he can help." Simon said and approached an old man on a bench. "Excuse me, um... a little girl might have gotten kidnapped a few days ago. I was wondering if you've seen her?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." The old man replied.

"Are you sure? She's about this tall, pig tales, always... wears a scarf." I asked as a noticed a blue and white scarf in the mans front pocket.

"Hey, where'd you get that scarf?" Simon asked pointing at the scarf in his pocket.

"Nowhere. I found it. It's mine." The old man replied.

"Do you wanna make a trade?" Simon asked which made the old man smile and Simon pat Jace on the shoulder.

"What?" He asked harshly, after a few minutes of arguing, which wasn't needed. Jace traded his leather jacket for the scarf. And finally we got back into the van. I watched closely as Jace tracked Madzie.

"Keep heading north. The signals faint, but we can still track her." Jace explained.

"Don't sound too excited." Simon joked annoying Jace.

"It's too easy." Jace muttered under his breath.

"It wasn't easy. That jackets at least two sizes small on that guy. I'm just a great salesman." Simon smiled but Jace completely ignored him.

"Valentine's too smart to have not thought about blocking the signal. If we can track Madzie, it's because he wants us to. We'll be walking into a trap." Jace explained to us.

"So you don't want us to find Madzie? If we don't we are going to..." I said as Jace sighed.

"That's not what i said, Alissa." Jace said softly.

"But, Alissa's right. Trap or no trap, the scarf is our only option... I can't let Valentine activate the Soul-Sword, either." Clary grumbled as she looked at me.

"And whatever happens... you can't let him take us alive." I said making Simon laugh nervously.

"Uh... Girls, you're kind of freaking me out.."
"Trust me, we've talked about it and... Maia was right." I Said, shaking my head.

"What are... what are you talking about?" Simon asked me very confused.

"We agreed that we would rather die than let Valentine destroy the Downworld. We need you to promise us. If Valentine ever gets to us..." Clary began to say.

"No, absolutely not." Simon immediately disagreed.

"But, I promise." Jace suddenly said making all of us look at him. "If it ever comes to that. I won't let him take yow both alive." I nodded at him before I felt a huge wave of exhaustion come over me so I laid down in the back of the van.

"Stay here, we'll be right back." Jace said to Clary and I as we still sat in the back of the van. Simon came back to the van without Jace and he moved the van near the water to prevent anyone tracking us. Clary then decided that we should sit on top of the van watching as Simon looked around the area.

"Are you sure we are safe up here?" Simon asked Clary.

"If I'm going to die, it's not gonna be in this van." Clary said making me laugh slightly. "Not on a night like tonight."

"Maybe we should go looking for Jace." Simon suggested.

"No. If he says he's gonna rescue Madzie we need to be here when he comes back." I sighed as I laid on my back to look up at the stars.

"Sure"
"Yeah." Clary smiled.

"But at what point do we say he's been gone too long?" Simon asked.

"We don't Okay." Clary said her voice cracking I looked back up to see Clary crying in Simon's arms, making me wish that Alec was here with me right now. "Hey, if i don't make it..."

"Stop, you'll both survive. You have to. Think about it. I mean... a dashing, handsome Jewish boy... finally admits to his best friend how he feels after a lifetime and dies with her twin sister a week later? That's too sappy. Like a real-life Fault In Our Stars" Simon chuckled.

"Wait... that's not the plot of that book at all." I said sitting up and ruining their moment. They both looked at me raising an eyebrow. "Sorry, continue having your moment, I'll just stay right here." I scoffed, making them laugh.

"Well, I never read it. Or saw it." Simon shrugged as I shook my head at him. "I just kind of thought that's what it was about." We sat in a few minutes of a comfortable silence.

"Hey, I just need you to know that... I'm so glad that you and I..." Clary Started
"I know." After that I didn't hear anymore of their convocation as I felt I was getting more weaker and closed my eyes falling unconscious...

Later on...
I opened my eyes to see Madzie in front of me, I then looked around confused but spotted my hand that was once burnt was now healed. Madzie smiled at me and I looked back at Jace, Simon and Clary who was also healed and held Simon's hand.

"Madzie you're okay." I smiled, hugging her. I suddenly looked up to see that Madzie made a portal. "Madzie, What are you doing?"

"No..." I heard my sister gasp.

"Alissa!" Was the last thing I heard before Madzie portaled me away from the others. The first thing I heard was carnival music and when I went to stand up quickly I saw that I was chained to the ground. I looked up to see Valentine walking towards us.

"Well done Madzie. Your Nana is gonna be so proud if you, but you still have a lot more to do before you can see her Okay? So run along." Valentine said softly and Madzie ran off.

"Hello again Annalise." Valentine said smiling at me as I finally managed to stand up. "You must still hate me for what happened to your mother. I don't blame you. Jocelyn's death will always be my greatest regret."

"If you have any shred of humanity left, you would stop this and let me go now." I spat at him.

"My humanity is what keeps me going. If the Angels designed the Sword to rid the world of demons, I'm just ensuring it fulfils it's true purpose." Valentine chuckled as I look at him in disgust...