"Just take my hand god dammit!"- chapter 18 ?

Alissa's PoV
When I first heard about your father around the time he and Jocelyn first got together, long before the uprising of the circle. Valentine had elevated the Morgenstern name to be synonymous with virtue. And your mother was at his side, but by the time my people came to know him, barely two years later... his name had become synonymous with devastation. Your mother told me it was then she first saw the signs." Magnus explained as he told us Valentine killed many warlocks. "They never found all the bodies. We'd all stood with the Clave for centuries."

"How could that not matter to him? He is a monster!" I gasped in shook that Valentine actually killed all of those Warlocks.

"He was obsessed with enduring purity of blood, convinced that the impurities were a threat to peace." Magnus sighed as I scoffed.

"When it was in fact him threatening the peace between the Downworlders and Shadowhunters. He's mad..." I added, furious at Valentine's actions.

"Mad men rarely make sense. Mostly, they just hate. And he hated the Downworlders, for the gifts we possess he could not have. He hated us enough to kill us all" Magnus said as he looked down at Clary's finished drawing. The picture was a warlock getting stabbed in the heart.

"Ever since our mother was kidnapped and the shadow world invaded our life, so many Downworlders have helped us, not ever thinking about what it might cost them. How could Valentine not see any good in them!" Clary says angrily.

"He was blinded by his ambition." Magnus said blankly.

"Why didn't the Clave stop him?" I asked annoyed as I switched my weight onto my good leg due to the pain I was feeling.

"He was clever" Magnus sighed "he and all his followers, they managed to convince the Clave that the Downworlders killed in their special mission had violated the accords in some way. Complete fabrications."

"How could he not see?" Clary asked as I walked over to the window to try and spot Alec. But he was no where to be seen so I sighed in annoyance.

"Shadowhunters believe in the law as absolute. They could never conceive one of their own going stray" Magnus said as I laughed

"He went mad. He didn't go stray, Magnus." I said, chuckling.

"What happened back Then is happening again. The Clave refuses to believe that Valentines a threat. Nineteen years ago, their lack of vision allowed the circle to almost decimate the entire shadow world" he started 

"The uprising..." I realised as he nodded his head.

"Yes, Valentine wanted to create a new Shadowhunter army. And for that, he needed the Mortal cup. He knew it would be on display at the signing of the accords as a show of the Clave's power. He seized the opportunity to accomplish everything he wanted. Destroy the accords, murder Downworlders, and secure the cup. Many shadowhunters died that day, trying to protect the cup from Valentine." Magnus explained.

"How could our mother and Luke be apart of something so bad Like this?" Clary asked.

"Jocelyn and Luke tried to prevent the uprising. They tried to change Valentines mind about Downworlders" Magnus disagreed with Clary. "If it wasn't for your mother and Luke the circle would've won"

"I asked my self, If my mother knew for so long why didn't she leave the circle sooner? But now I know, she had to stop him." I said.

"And, She has to safeguard the cup. Everything Jocelyn did, she did it to save the people she had sworn to protect. She took her oath as a Shadowhunter very seriously." Magnus said.