Won't Get Fooled Again

Allison: 13
Dean: 22
Sam: 19

     Allison sits, sulking, in the back seat of the Impala after a bad hunt.
     "You could've gotten us killed! You know that, right?" John yells from the front seat, AC/DC droning underneath his thunderous voice. "What kind of move is that, Allison? Not shooting when I tell you to? And when you finally do shoot, you miss the damn monster!" Allison's head hangs low and Dean, sitting in the passenger seat, tries to ignore his father by looking out the window.
     "I can't believe it. You're a Winchester for God's sake. Act like it," John continues, making condescending eye contact with his daughter in the rear view mirror and Dean gives his father a despondent look. Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" comes on and Dean turns it up, knowing that it's one of Allison's favorites. Allison offers a small smile and wipes the tears off of her face.
     A while later, Allison starts to doze off in the backseat. Dean looks at his little sister in the rear view mirror. She has grown up so much since Sam left for Stanford—a lot can change in a year. She used to be this stubborn little girl, eager to do what the Winchesters do. Now, she's understanding, honorable, still stubborn, but nonetheless a good hunter—a real Winchester.
      Allison shifts in her seat, blonde curls covering her face.
     She's so freakin' adorable and awesome. She doesn't deserve this shit from him.
     They pull into the motel parking lot and John gets out of the car without saying a word.
     "Hey, Al. We're here, kid," Dean says as he gently nudges his sister.
     "I don't want to go inside," Allison says and Dean sadly looks at her.
     "Come on. It'll be fine. He's just gonna go out and drink," Dean reassures his scared little sister.
     "Okay," Allison says nervously. They walk into the room and John is already in the shower. Allison plops down on the bed and starts watching a Nickelodeon show. John exits the bathroom, clean and clothed.
     "Dean. Clean up. We'll get a drink," John orders, grabs his coat and leaves the motel room.
     "Should we really be leaving Al—" Dean asks but the door cuts him off.
     "It's okay, Dean. He's not mad at you," Allison says.
     "Alright. Be back soon," Dean kisses her forehead and exits the room, leaving Allison completely alone.

*******************************************

     The door slams. Allison jolts awake.
     "Hello?" She draws her gun but sees that it's just John. "Oh. Hi, Daddy," she says hesitantly, almost like she's not allowed to call him that. He only glares at her in response. Starting to feel a little scared, Allison starts to back up towards the bed; she can smell the gin.
     "Where's Dean?" She asks.
     "At the bar. Finishing up a game of pool," John says begrudgingly.
     "Look. I'm sorry about today. I guess I just froze, Daddy—" Allison says.
     "Oh, no! It's alright, princess. You didn't ruin the case at all!" John says sarcastically as he steps toward the girl.
     "I think I should go," Allison says, looking down.
     "You think you should go?! Why? Are you scared Ally?" John draws out.
     "This is uncomfortable, Dad. Please. I'm sorry," Allison says.
     "I bet you're sorry. You're gonna be even more sorry, sweetheart," John spits. He slaps the girl and she falls to the floor.
     "Dad, stop!" Allison yells.
     "You have to learn!" John yells back and he punches her jaw which is followed by a kick to the ribs. Allison starts to sob as he lays punches into her face. The punches gradually diminish in intensity as regret wells up within John. He stops and looks at his hands, wondering what he's done. He leaves Allison sobbing on the floor, goes into the bathroom and starts to run the sink.
     "Al, I brought you back some chicken wings!" Dean yells enthusiastically.
     "Dean—" Allison says with a mixture of hesitation and desperation.
     "What the hell?! Did he hit you?" Dean shouts as he sees his sister's bloody face. Allison nods and start to sob. Dean goes to her side and holds her in his arms.
     "He promised," Dean growls.
     "Dean, don't," Allison begs.
     "He said 'never again'," Dean says.
     "You're gonna make it worse," Allison cries as the bathroom door opens.
     "Dean, I know what you're thinking," John starts.
     "You asshole! You promised to never EVER hurt her again," Dean yells.
     "I know," John sighs.
     "You know? Do you know that she's just a kid? Oh, right! You don't care. Hell, she was barely even a child when you first did it! Five years old, Dad! Five!"
     "Dean—"
     "What the hell was I supposed to do with that? A 13 year old kid sees his Dad push his little sister into the TV set. Real hard. Sam saw it too. He was scared, wanted me to do something about it, but I couldn't. I could only look at her bleeding head and listen to her cries, realizing that a monster didn't do that, my drunk father did!" Dean shouts at his father.
     "That was years ago. I haven't done it since," John says.
     "Until now," Dean scolds his father and takes a step towards him.
     "Dean, you need to calm down this instant!" John yells.
     "Calm down? You know, Dad, I'm starting to see why Sam left. We spend our days fighting and killing monsters, all the while, we're living with the worst kind of monster there is: an abusive, selfish drunk. You know, I'm done with it. I'm done with you, Dad," Dean gives his father a shove.
     "Dean, stop!" Allison yells.
     "I'm so sorry, baby girl," John says, his voice breaking.
     "Don't even think about going near her. Just leave," Dean spits. John looks away from his kids and sighs shakily. He picks up his jacket and leaves. The door slams and a cold silence fills the room.
     "I'm sorry, Dean," Allison sobs quietly.
     "Hey! I love you, Al," Dean says as he rushes to her side to hug her.
     "I love you too, Dean. Thank you."