Gabriel's Vessel

Gabriel felt a sudden ping of energy that shook his very essence.
     It's here.
     He was always told that his true vessel would arrive eventually, but he would never know ahead of time; God said that he would have to feel it. He felt it now.
     It's a she!
     Gabriel smiled. First Michael, then Lucifer and now, finally, he had his vessel. They're all from the same family.
     Winchester.
     It was destiny for this family to exist. From the very beginning, the Winchesters were a part of God's plan.
    In a hospital, Gabriel saw a dark haired, handsome man and a beautiful blonde holding a bundle of blankets. Two little boys were there too. The older child, with his dirty blond hair and face sprinkled with freckles, looked at the bundle with utter enchantment. The smaller boy tugged on his father's jacket because he couldn't see his sister from the floor. The man picked up the boy and ruffled his dark brown hair.
     The little one is Sam Winchester5 or 6 years old. Lucifer's vessel.
     The older one is Dean Winchester9 years old. That is Michael's sword.
     I want to see mine.
     Normally, Gabriel never would have gone anywhere near anything angel related, but he needed to meet his vessel. He moved behind the family, invisible to their human eyes. He looked down and saw the girl. He smiled.
     "She's beautiful," Mary said. John smiled at his daughter and put a hand on Dean's shoulder.
     "She really is," Gabriel said, without anyone to hear.
     "Just like her Mama," John said with a kiss on Mary's forehead. The little girl opened her big eyes and yawned. The parents melted at the amount of cuteness that sat in Mary's arms.
     "Allison," Mary said.
     "Absolutely," John agreed.
     "Ally!" Sam shouted and pumped his arm up and down.
     "That's right, Sammy!" John said with a grin.
     "Meet your little sister, boys. Allison Winchester."
     From then on Gabriel only intended to keep a mental check on Allison, but when Mary died, he secretly visited the Winchester family quite often.

*******************************************

     A late September night, Allison was 4 years old, and John and Dean were out hunting. Allison had a nightmare and Sam, who was 10 at the time, got up to comfort her.
     "Hey, Ally! It's okay!" Sam said.
     "Where's Daddy?" Allison cried.
     "He's out working," Sam said, wrapping his arms around her.
     "I want Dean." Allison continued to sob, which caused Sam to slump down and sigh.
     "He's not here...but I am," Sam said. Allison sniffed and snuggled into Sam.
     "What if they aren't okay?" Allison murmured, after a pause.
     "They always are," Sam reassured his little sister, brushing a piece of blonde hair behind her ear. "Sometimes I like to pray, just in case."
     "To God?" Allison asked.
     "Sure, or anyone who will listen," Sam said with a smile. "Try it."
     Allison clasped her hands together and started to pray.
     "Please God, let Daddy and Dean be safe. Make them come home soon."
     Gabriel felt her prayer deep in his essence—it was the first time that Allison had ever prayed.
     He went to Allison and saw her and Sam huddled together on the cheap motel bed. He frowned at John's lack of parenting—John was once such a promising father but now he cared more about hunting than his own children.
     Poor kid.

*******************************************

     "It's your first day of school, pumpkin! Smile!" Bobby grinned and snapped a picture of Allison in light blue overalls with a red shirt underneath. Her wavy blonde hair was clipped back with a barrette.
     "Where's Daddy?" she asked.
     "He's working for the next few months and you kids are gonna stay with me," Bobby said with a warm smile.
     "But I'm starting 2nd grade...this is important!" Allison whined.
     "It's very important! That's why I'm in charge, little lady." Bobby ruffled her hair and quickly fixed it. "You look so darn adorable." He smiled and kissed her forehead. "Sam! Dean! Get down here before you're late."
     This call caused Sam to bustle down the stairs, completely ready for school.
     "Dean just got up, Bobby!" Sam whined. "I can't be late for the first day of school."
     Bobby grimaced and stormed up the stairs. Allison meandered into the kitchen and standing on the tips of her toes, got a cookie out of the cookie jar that was always stocked when Bobby had the kids over. Sam quickly took it out of her hand.
     "Did you have breakfast?" Sam asked.
     Oh, come on, Sam. Let the kid have a cookie. Gabriel glared at Sam.
     "I did!" Allison said. "Cereal!" Sam handed her the cookie reluctantly.
     "Great, more sugar," Sam scoffed as Allison munched on the cookie. Dean came bumbling down the stairs as Bobby scolded him.
     "It's your junior year, Dean! This year is important!" Bobby said. Dean grabbed a cookie from the jar and kneeled down to Allison.
     "Piggy back out to the car?" he offered, sticking his cookie in his mouth. Allison grinned and hopped on his back. They zoomed out the front door and Sam trailed behind.
     "Bye, Bobby!" Sam called and then shut the door behind him
     "Love you guys." Bobby said and Gabriel smiled at the kind man.

*******************************************

     Sam had left for college. Dean and John had said that "this hunt is too dangerous." They were out late and the 13 year old girl was alone in the dingy motel room. Allison sobbed silently into her pillow.
     She missed Sam. She missed the days when they were all together. She missed her mom, even though she never really knew her. She missed a lot of things.
     Gabriel stood there, unseen as usual, watching her. He wanted to hug her. He sat down beside her and encased her in his wings.
Allison suddenly felt warm. She was still sad, but her loneliness seemed to vanish just for a little while.

*******************************************

     "Gabriel...the a-archangel?" Sam stuttered.
     "Yepparoo," Gabriel said.
     "So, you're an archangel, that doesn't mean squat. We're still not gonna let Lucifer and Michael take over and fight their little war with us as their weapons," Dean said.
     "Yes, you will—at least eventually. It's destiny kiddos," Gabriel said and pointed at the Winchesters. "Dean, the big brother, always living up to Daddy's standards and striving for his approval. Sam, the rebellious younger brother who Dad always liked best, no matter what big bro did."
     "You shut your goddamn mouth!" Dean yelled.
     "None of this—it doesn't matter—" Sam said.
     "It does matter! I need this to be over! I can't keep watching my brothers fight and fight and fight. I'm tired of being stuck in the middle. I don't even care who wins at this point!" Gabriel yelled and looked to Allison. "Sound familiar, sweetheart?" Dean scowled at Gabriel and Sam sadly looked down to his feet.
     "Allison, the youngest. Stuck in the middle, always looked over and stomped on by her family," Gabriel said angrily. "Feels forced to pick a side!"
     "I'm your true vessel?" Allison said.
     "Bingo!" Gabriel said. He looked at the beautiful and mature young woman's confused expression.
     I've watched you grow up for 20 years. I feel like we have known each other forever but you're just getting to know me now. We're one in the same; made for each other. I never stomped on you or forgot you.
     I love you.
     Allison tucked a piece of her blonde hair behind her ear and sighed.
     "This has been written in the stars. You were all meant to be here, since the beginning," Gabriel said. "This fight will happen, whether you like it or not."
     A silence falls over the group and Gabriel looks them over. The Winchesters stand before him, looking fierce but tired. So tired.
     "Stay strong. Know that I'm here for you. Always." Gabriel then vanished in a blink of an eye. He didn't address anyone in particular but they all knew that he said it for Allison.