Wounded Part 2

"Dean, you're gonna have to drive faster." Sam worries, looking down at his pale dozing sister.
     "I'm going as fast as I can, Sammy." Dean grips the wheel tight, his knuckles pale. The Impala flies into the hospital's emergency entrance. Sam picks up his unconscious sister and he carries her inside the building.
     "She's been stabbed—somebody please help!" Sam holds back tears as the words leave his lips. Three nurses rush to his side and a tech wheels out a stretcher. They wheel Allison towards the inside of the ER as Dean finally arrives after parking the car.
     Like two lost little boys, the brothers trail behind her and watch as she is wheeled into a trauma room.

*******************************************

     beep...beep...beep
     The clock on the wall of the hospital room reads 2:13am and the constant drone of the heart monitor slowly lulls Dean to sleep. As exhausted as he is, Sam can't keep his tired eyes off of his sister.
     She has to wake up. She has to.
     Sam's leg bounces up and down as he bites his nails down to stubs. The nurse comes in on her rounds and gives him a small smile before she goes about her business. After awhile, the nurse leaves and Dean's phone rings. Dean jolts awake and looks at the caller ID. He looks to Sam with a sad smile.
     "Hey, Bobby," Dean mumbles. "Yeah, she hasn't woken up yet. We'll let you know. Thanks for checking in. Uh huh. Bye." Dean closes the flip phone and looks at his brother.
     "Sammy, she's gonna be okay," Dean says.
     "How do you know?" Sam's voice breaks and tears brim in his eyes.
     "I don't but I can hope." Dean looks at Sam and a tear falls down the eldest brother's unshaven face. Dean looks back at his little sister, lying unconscious in the hospital bed. Sam wipes the tears from his face and looks away as another nurse enters. She quickly exits and Dean looks at Sam.
     "Let's try to get some shuteye." Dean settles into the hospital chair and closes his eyes. "Worrying won't make her wake up any faster."

*******************************************

     "Operator! Give me the number for 911!" Homer Simpson yells.
     The sunlight shines through the blinds of the window and Sam's eyes flutter open. He looks to the hospital bed and sees Dean and Allison sharing the bed, eating pudding and watching The Simpsons on TV.
     "Hiya Sammy!" Dean says and Allison giggles. Sam grins and looks to the clock. It's 10:43am.
     "You're awake!" Sam beams at his sister.
     "Yeah, we got you pudding. Do you want it?" Allison asks, obviously indicating that she wants his pudding.
     "No, I'm good." Sam's smile slowly fades and his brow furrows. "Why didn't you wake me up?" Allison looks to Dean as she licks her spoon.
     "What?" Dean asks barely tearing himself away from the cartoon. "Oh. I thought you needed to sleep." Sam sighs and sits back down. Allison nudges Dean and he mindlessly hands her Sam's pudding without looking away from the TV. They both laugh obnoxiously as Homer falls off the roof.
     "When will you be discharged?" Sam asks.
     "A few days." Allison smiles.
     "What else do they have on the menu?" Dean asks reaching for the paper menu on the table.
     "I'm just glad you're okay, Al," Sam says and holds her hand. She smiles at him and squeezes his big hand tight.
     "Me too, Sammy. Me too."