Chapter 3.9

It was a good week, with the Scottish air breezed through the day and night, bringing a slight chill to the atmosphere, but not enough to freeze the lake. The sun was shining bright, and rain hadn't fallen as often as it should. It really was a good week for most who inhabited the grounds of Hogwarts. It really was, except for a few people, those including the two Potters. With a box full of badges in her hands, Ellie trudged all the way up the hill and into the Forbidden Forest, muttering a string of profanities under her breath until she reached a clearing well deep in the forest, where she threw the box up in the air. Lifting her wand, she pointed it at and shouted,

"CONFRINGO!"

Burned metal and plastics showered the young Potter. She couldn't believe him, she couldn't even think why she had ever defended him. Her brother had warned her about him, so had the other Gryffindors, but she had always given him the benefit of a doubt. He had been her friend, her best friend, for two years, and all of the sudden it felt like she was merely dust on his shoes. It was as if she had never spent Christmas at his house, as if she was nothing but a scum to him. And above all, he knew damn well that she wasn't handling the fact that Harry was a champion all that well, yet he chose to create stupid, stinking, badge to flash around the hall.

Dropping to the ground, the young Potter screamed in frustration, scaring away the birds and squirrels on the nearby tree. She didn't care though, she'd rather be left alone anyway, even if the animals didn't really make any difference. What she didn't realise was that her scream scared away many animals, but it didn't scare away a young creature that is as black as the night and cold as the winter breeze. Feeling a nudge on her back, Ellie turned around to find a winged horse-like creature that wasn't all that unfamiliar to her. She realised she'd seen its kind a couple of times since they pulled the school carriages, but she had never paid much attention to it before. Lifting her hand slowly and carefully as to not scared the creature, Ellie petted its face softly, which made the creature nuzzled its muzzle at Ellie even more. It might only be her imagination, but she believed that the creature was trying to smile. Chuckling to herself, she pet the creature some more until she heard the cracking of a branch from behind her.

Stepping in front of the horse-like creature, Ellie draw her wand, ready to defend the both of them, only to be greeted by the familiar red uniform of the Durmstrang. His face wasn't unfamiliar to her, since the Durmstrangs joined the Slytherin table for meals, but she had never interacted with the boy before.

"Vom did you see die?" asked the boy as he proceed to pet the creature, a gesture that was very much welcomed by it.

"Come again?"

Chuckling to himself, the Durmstrang boy turned to face the young Potter and asked once more, "Vom did you see die?"

Feeling her privacy was slightly invaded, she puffed her chest and held her wand straighter. "Not that it is your business, but no one yet."

Chuckling to himself, the Durmstrang boy stepped closer to Ellie and slowly lowered her wand. He didn't fail to notice that she held her wand in her left hand, something that made him smirked. Putting his hand in front of him, he said, "Forgive my manners. My name is Xenyk Morozov."

"Eleanor Potter," said Ellie rather aloofly as she shook his hand once.

"Potter?" asked Xenyk rather surprised, "You are related to the youngest champion?"

Rolling her eyes, she stowed her wand away, "Dear brother of mine."

Xenyk studied the young Potter as she restored to petting the horse-like creature with all the love in the world, like it was the most beautiful horse she had ever seen, despite the eery look the creature possessed. It was as if it was made of skin and bones, but the light in her eyes showed that she saw the wonder of the creature. He had a thing or two in his mind, and he was more than curious to confirm it, but he knew all too well that he had to thread lightly, or he would never see the end of it. Walking closer to the young Potter, he asked, "So you've never seen anyone die before?"