Chapter 2

Hardin

I am still confident in that I made the right choice 5 years ago. Packing up and going back to London was the only choice I had with everything that had happened between Tess and I.

When I told her I got expelled and told Landon he had to tell her the same. Which just so happened to be the one and only time he agreed to lie for me. Because well... he too knew it was what was best for both of us. Me being kicked out of school or so I told her seemed like a good time to move back to London. There wasn't anything left for me in America. Everything I thought it would do for me ended up making everything worse. I thought I would be better and I thought for a while she was making me better. Truth is I hated myself before I was with her and I hated who I was when I was with her even though that still pains me to think that way but it's true.

She was an angel, but I was the devil. I was horrible, a horrible fucking human and it still hurts to think about it.

But I did move on, not with anyone. Not that I haven't been with anyone but not like that, but not like before either. I just have casually dated. But mentally I moved on and I am better now. But definitely still a work in progress.

As I step off the plane back in America my past hits me in the face. "Hardin Scott?"

"Yes." I reply. You need to come with us.

As I am escorted into a room I am issued paperwork that shows a warrant for my arrest that dates back to 2014.

The outstanding warrant was issued after I left for England which was why I was able to leave and was from when Zed actually did press charges for assault and battery after our fight at school. 

"Were you aware of this warrant?" Asks the officer. "No I was not. I have lived back in London for the past 5 years." Due to the nature of the crime we are going to be escorting you to county to get processed and then you can make a phone call .

The cop is actually really nice and I think acknowledges the fact that this was a long time ago and that I had no idea this existed.

" I do have to handcuff you which is standard procedure" the officer states. I comply and put my hands behind my back without any hesitation.

The ride to county seemed long as handcuffs dig into my wrists. When I get there they run through the whole deal. Mugshot, fingerprints, thorough search...way too thorough and I have to change into a jail uniform.

Hours later I finally get a phone call. Not how I am expecting to talk to Ken after 5 years and actually being a different person but uhh here goes nothing. And I guess not actually 5 years but I'll get into that later.

"Ken?"...."Hardin?" He replies confused. "What happened?" He asks. "Well I guess after I left Zed pressed charges so there has been an outstanding warrant for my arrest, so here I am, can you come to the bail hearing and bail me out since all my money is tied up in London?"

"When is it?" He asks. "Tomorrow at 3:30" I reply. "You realize Landon's rehearsal dinner is at 6 tomorrow right?"

"Ohhh yea you are right I will tell them I need to move things along a little quicker my brother has to get married" I reply sarcastically and also a little surprised at calling him my brother.

" okay, okay I'll be there" he replies. "Thanks see you tomorrow" I state before hanging up.

I don't think it's hit me yet that I am one in America again but two spending the night in jail. " coming back was a dumb idea I am realizing very quickly"

Some how I am actually able to sleep on what felt like cement. The next day feels like years with each slow passing minute.

At about 2 an officer comes and takes me into a hallway where he cuffs my hands in the front and a chain around my waste then goes down to my ankles where he cuffs my ankles. All I am thinking is that this just seems very excessive. I then have to wait in a room like that until my hearing.

Before the hearing I meet with my lawyer in the room. My dad called in one of his friends who is a lawyer.

My lawyer explains what we are looking at. He explains assault and battery carries a maximum sentence of 5 years in Washington state. He said since it was my first offense and a long time ago that it should work in my favor. However, they don't take too kindly to foreigners unfortunately and the fact that you left the country.

I reply "both of those contradict themselves" and he replies "I know". He explains that because I live in London we are going to ask for a fine and a no return for 5 years. " does that mean I couldn't come back to the states for 5 years" yes he replies "but I think that is our best bet otherwise the prosecutor will go for jail time."

After our meeting I am finally led into the hearing room where I see my dad he clearly looks disappointed, and as am I. The judge calls out "Scott, Hardin please rise" "how do you plea?" He asks "not guilty." I reply (as advised by my lawyer).

The judge asks if I plan to leave the country and I said I was planning on going back to London. He said I had to forfeit my passport and stay out of trouble until my next court date which is scheduled for April 1st and bail set at $100,000.

My lawyer is surprised they didn't put me on house arrest. But overall this is good news. I am escorted back to the holding cell and finally able to leave by 5:45PM.

First thing I say to my dad is "thank you" which is already a different Hardin and I give him a hug. I feel terrible that we are going to be late to the rehearsal.

" I think you better go to rehearsal and I will catch up with you later" I say to him.

"Are you not coming?" He asks. " I just feel like I need some time to get myself together it's been a whirlwind since I got in and I'm not ready to see Tessa and possibly spiral." My honesty surprises him, actually everything about this new Hardin surprises him.

" okay Hardin, I respect that I am going to tell Landon I was headed to pick you up and your flight got delayed" replies my dad. "Thanks, ill see you tomorrow."