Chapter 49

Hardin

The bar has a total of 4 people in it. Looks like the town drunks are staying out till last call. So I might as well join them.

"I'll take a whiskey neat and just keep them coming" I tell the bartender who is actually quite cute.

She looks about my age. Has long black hair and tattoos running down her arm.

"Sure thing sweetheart" she says.

Next thing I know Vance comes in and sits down next to me.

"What can I get you?" The bartender asks.

"Uhh nothing I'm not staying and neither is he" he replies.

"Vance go home." I say.

"Hardin this isn't the answer to every problem you have." He says.

"No but it fucking helps." I reply.

"I'll take a whiskey as well I guess" Vance says.

Hmm okay so this is how it's going to be I quickly wonder. But also okay if he wants to just fucking sit here and drink next to me...that's fine as long as he doesn't talk to me we're good.

About 3 or maybe 4 rounds later I'm not really sure I get up and go to the bathroom except I see it as my opportunity to leave and sneak out of the bar and head to my car.

Where I am headed I don't really know. I just start driving and maybe this is me being really stupid but I call Molly.

Which is weird because who calls anyone these days but it's also 4 am.

"Hello?" Confused she answers.

"Hey molly it's Hardin."

"Okay?" She replies.

"I am just going to cut to the chase I need somewhere to crash" I say.

"Uhh okay well it's just me and my roommate you can come here I guess" she says.

I am a little drunk this is probably a bad idea. But I kind of exhausted places to go at this point and I knew Molly would let me crash plus it will be for a few hours until I figure out what the hell I am going to do.

"Hey I'm here" I text her.

When I get up to her apartment she immediately goes in for a hug. I just give in to it. I mean she is letting me crash here for the night...well I guess it's morning.

"I forgot to mention my roommate and I share a one bedroom so she sleeps on the pull out couch, so you can either get the floor or half the bed." She says.

"Great." I say.

I kick my feet up on her bed and she sits at the end of the bed.

"Jace told me you were sober?" She says questionably.

" I was." I reply

"Well what happened?" She asks.

"I got drunk and now here I am." I reply.

She looks different now. All her hair is black and she looks like she may work out or just did something different.

"I didn't think any of us would ever see you again." She says.

"Yep. Me neither." I reply.

I don't really know how it happened but next thing you know we are hooking up.

I pull my shirt off not thinking and her eyes immediately go to my port. "Why do you have that?"

"It's nothing" I reply pushing her hand away from touching me there.

When we are laying their afterwards I can tell she wants to cuddle. And I pull my arm out from underneath her.

"Do you have cancer?" Molly asks.

"What?" I reply surprised.

"My mom passed away last year and she had that when she was going through chemo." She says.

I wait and don't say anything for a minute.

"Yea it's not a big deal." I finally reply.

And just like that you can see her eyes change in how she looks at me exactly what I don't want even from Molly who I could care less about what she thinks.