Chapter 47

Hardin

Okay not my proudest moment. I was a dick. But this is for the best.

If her last memory of me isn't a good one then she can live her life be with her fiancé get married have a family. All the things I won't be able to give her.

Not saying I am giving up but I'm not willing to bring anyone along for this pathetic ride.

The doctor said it's going to be a lot worse before it gets better and I am not sure how I can feel much worse than I have this past week.

I decide to just sit on the porch for a little and it's probably not recommended to smoke weed when your going to AA but I am thinking I get the cancer pass.

Next thing I know I see headlights pull up.

"Hardin is that you...what are you doing here so late?" Asks Ken as he gets out of the car.

I don't even try to hide the joint in my hand. "I was working on my car"

"Oh sorry we weren't home we went out with some friends. It is good to see you son I know last time we saw each other I lost my temper and I am sorry." Says ken.

"It's fine." I say.

"Did you get the car running?" He asks.

"Not yet I'm going to go and work on it some more before heading out." I reply.

"You are more than welcome to stay here, son." He says.

"I'm good" I say as I walk away into the garage. I don't think he said anything about me smoking out of fear of pissing me off.

As I am working on the car I start to feel bad in a way because I know my dad deserves to know what's going on with me but I can't have another person like my mom and Vance feeling sorry for me.

After about an hour I finally get the car running and she sounds just like I remember.

Since I got her running I decide I can drive her back to Vance's it's already pretty late so I don't say anything to Ken and Karen when I leave I am sure they are sleeping by now.

When I walk in to Vance's I can hear my moms voice. I quickly wonder what she is still doing up. Must be the time change.

When I get in the kitchen I see Vance leaned up against her.

I fucking lose it.

I can't even see or think straight. "What the fuck is this?" I yell as I pull him away.

I am seeing red and it's just hit after hit which is hard to do with one broken hand already but I am making do. He finally lands one on me and I snap out of whatever I am in and just fall to the ground against the wall.

My mom comes rushing to my side. Holding my face. "Hardin I am sorry it's not what you think" she keeps saying.

I feel like I am just staring at nothing I still haven't said anything. Vance is keeping his distance and rinsing the blood off his face and hand at the sink.

I look down and see blood all over my cast and knuckles.

I get up and grab the empty wine bottle that is on the counter and whip it against the wall and watch the glass shatter all over the place.

I walk down the hall into the room I have been staying in and grab all of my stuff.

Vance must have a death wish because he shows up in the door way.

"Hardin, don't leave we made a mistake and it's not going to happen again." He says.

"Get the fuck out of my way Vance." I say as I shove my shoulder into him walking through the doorway that he refused to budge from.

I grab a bottle of jack that is on the counter on my way out.

"Hardin..." my mom screams after me.

"Hardin don't" I hear Vance say.

I throw my bag into my car and just start to drive. I realize pretty quick that Vance is following me.

If it wasn't the middle of the night and more people on the road I am sure I'd have no problem losing him.

I decide to pull into this 5 am bar. If Vance wants to watch me get drunk at this bar he can follow me in. Which knowing him he will try and stop me..

I am really sick of fighting this guy.

Can this fucking night get any worse?