Chapter 73

Tessa

I think I became the horrible person in all this. Hardin has been lying in a hospital bed for over a week now. And I went back to my life.

Well I tried.

I got the call/texts about Hardin when I landed.

"Tessa call me right away" was the text from Vance.

I remember they weren't sure if he was going to make it and I ran back into the airport trying to get a flight.

Everything was delayed or canceled due to a storm. My flight had just barely made it in. They were saying it might have  to be rerouted.

So I stayed the night in the airport waiting for a plane. Meanwhile getting update after update from Vance and Trish.

Finding out they were putting him in a coma because they found swelling on his brain. That was likely due to the fight he got in at rehab.

They said he was stable and that it would be a waiting game. For the swelling to go down and then for him to wake up.

Vance told me to stay. He said take care of things at home and then when he wakes up then I should come.

I told him no and that I was still coming and he insisted I stay.

He told me that he wanted me to take care of myself and the baby. And Hardin would be okay he said he would make sure of it.

And I don't know who he was trying to convince himself or me.

But it has killed me not to be with him. And knowing he hasn't woken up. I haven't slept since I left.

Everyday multiple times a day I would call and same answer...
No change.

When he does wake up he's going to know I haven't been there. Or should I say if he does...what if he doesn't?

What am I even doing? I question as I am taking laundry out of the dryer.

I stop what I am doing and drop the clothes to the floor.

Not thinking I just grab my wallet, phone and keys and leave as if I am going out for coffee not to another country.

I can't wait around anymore. If he doesn't make it I'll never forgive myself.

I head to the airport. And next thing you know I am on a plane back to London.

A fear comes over me while I am on the plane. Like he is already gone.

I realized I left in such a rush I didn't even tell Vance and Trish I was coming.

When I get off the plane. I catch a taxi and head right to the hospital.

Now of course I have seen him in the hospital before. But this feels different. I am terrified.

I am scared to see him lying there not knowing if he will ever wake up again.

I arrive at the hospital and go to the front desk.

"Can you give me a patient's room number." I ask the lady at the desk.

"Name?" She asks me.

"Hardin Scott" I tell her.

She types and clicks and types and clicks and finally says. "There is no longer a patient here by that name?"

My heart immediately sinks "what do you mean no longer a patient here by that name?" I question slightly raising my voice.

"That is the only information I can give you." She replies.