Chapter 36

Tessa

"Tess, I'm sorry" just keeps replaying in my head. Really that's all he has to say. Was he ever really clean and sober or was that a lie too. Because right now all I see is old Hardin, but an even worse version then that, and I didn't think that was possible.

We arrive at the ER. I park and hesitate a second on getting out. I should just leave him here. But, I know I can't.I need answers.

We get in and the wait is forever. Finally we get called back and I wait in a room while he goes and gets x-rays done. When he gets back the nurse is asking him questions.

"Have you consumed any drugs or alcohol in the last 24 hours?" she asks.

"Yes." he responds. Ohhhh, has he ever I think to myself.

After a series of other questions, she lets us know the doctor will be in after they look at the x-rays. And, also lets us know they are very busy and that it will be a while. Greattttt....now what do I tell Easton. He has already texted and called me a dozen times.

"Hey babe, I drove to go visit my mom and we went to the movies, I am going to drive back in the morning" I text to Easton. I hate lieing to him but I don't know what else to do.

"Okay be safe, tell your mom hi for me." he responds back.

Hardin is still just sitting there, and not saying a word. I want him to say something. This shouldn't be on me. After enough time passes I finally give in and speak.

"Why did you drink?" I ask.

"Tess, I don't know. And I don't know what you want me to say." he replies.

"Were you ever even clean, it's hard to believe after seeing you this way..." i say.

"You are going to believe what you want, but yes I was. I messed up, it's not going to happen again." he says.

Really, how could he be so sure. And from the sounds of it, he had no reason that made him drink he just did. So what is going to happen, when something actually goes wrong or gives him a reason to, then what?

Before I can say something. The doctor walks in. "Hello Mr. Scott, so what do we got going on here?" he asks.

"I hit a wall, and messed my hand up." he honestly replies.

"Okay, well probably not the best idea. Because after looking at your x-ray, you have a broken hand. You will probably need surgery, but for now we can just cast it, and leave it in the cast for 4-6 weeks." he says.

"Ok." is all Hardin says.

"They will be in to cast it shortly." the doctor says as he walks out of the room.

Vance texts me..."Is everything okay, do you need me to come there?"

"It's fine, he is getting his hand casted, and then I'll bring him to Ken's." I text back.

"Why don't you bring him here, if he will come." replies Vance.

Hardin looks down at his hand and sees how messed up it actually is. You can still see the imprint of where the cuffs were on his wrists.

He looks up.."why did that cop let me go anyways, what did you guys say to him?" he asks.

"Vance knew him, and so he talked him into letting you go." i tell him.

He doesn't say anything. And they come in and cast his hand and we are finally free to go.

"Vance asked if you would come to his place, and I think it is a good idea you go there." I say.

"Ok" he replies. Which surprises me.