Chapter 23

Hardin

I arrive at the stream a little early so that I could be sure to be here before Tess arrives, so she wouldn't be here alone.

My thoughts are jumbled and I am nervous that after she has processed everything she will tell me she wants nothing to do with me once and for all.

I hear her car pull up and stand up to greet her. I feel a little awkward after all this time, and I go with the weird side hug again and ask her about her day.

She clearly finds it weird too, and yells at me to stop being so weird.

"So are we going for a swim?" She sarcastically asks.

"We can!" I jokingly reply.

I decide to instead have a seat by the end of the dock and pat the spot next to me for her to sit down.

She sits down and is quiet. Too quiet. And I don't know exactly what to say. Or if I should wait for her lead. And all I know is right now because I am being so quiet is coming off like the old Hardin. But I'm terrified. I'm terrified of saying the wrong thing, doing the wrong thing. I just don't want to leave again without her. I can't.

"What's on your mind?" She finally asks.

"I'm just thinking about what is on yours" I say.

"I'm just thinking about how I lied to my fiancé about where I am right now, and I don't know what I am doing, or why I am here. But I can't stop thinking about you and never have stopped and it kills me." She blurts out.

"I'm sorry." is all I can think to say.

She leans over and out of character for her just starts kissing me. And before I know it her legs are wrapped over me and we are continuing to make out. She all of a sudden starts sobbing and pulls away from me.

"what's wrong, did I do something?" I quickly ask.

"I knew you coming back would bring everything back but I just didn't  expect to feel like this." she says.

"Come back to London with me." I blurt out.

"what?" she answers surprised.

"I left you once and it destroyed me, and I don't want to do it again." I reply sincerely.