Chapter 60

Tessa

I have been texting Hardin all day and no answer. I know Landon was going to visit him today with Ken so I am anxiously waiting for Landon to be home to see how their visit went.

I know Hardin is probably still hurting from everything with Madi. And I don't blame him. He should be sad but I don't want him to go into a dark place like he usually does and I hope that isn't happening or that he is shutting me out.

I really want to hear from him so I can know what the doctor said. Ugh I don't want to be that crazy girlfriend.....ughhh again what am I saying we aren't even dating. But I am just worried I want to know how it went. Maybe I should text Trish.

"Hey...I am sorry to bother you I haven't heard from Hardin I have tried texting him. But I was probably going to be heading to the hospital soon, I was just wondering how the meeting with his doctor went?" I send to Trish via text.

I see a lot of typing.

And wait at least a half hour and finally she responds:
"Tessa...I am sorry he hasn't responded to you. We did end up getting good news and he can go to outpatient 1 day a week chemo and so he was released from the hospital. We are at the hotel."

Really...didn't he think he should call to tell me that.

"Okay well since he isn't answering me...can you just let him know I am heading to the hotel." I text back.

"Sweetheart...you are going to have to call or text him when you are here he got his own room. Room 441." She replies.

My stomach is in knots just because I know Hardin and he isn't responding to me, and he isn't talking to his mum and I just have to be prepared for whatever I am going to walk into.

Before I head to the hotel I decide to buy a pregnancy test. I'm late. And I don't have any other indication of anything other than I should have gotten my period by now. And I have been avoiding buying a test but i need peace of mind...however I decide that isn't something my mind should worry about right now and I toss the test into my purse right away.

After going to the store....I finally get to the hotel and I reluctantly knock on the door just because I am terrified of how he is going to be to me. And all
my thoughts are going through my head on why he is ignoring me.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

I wait.

It feels like forever but he finally comes to the door.

Before he can even speak. I push through the door. "Why wouldn't you tell me anything? That you're out of the hospital? Just anything at all? You have ignored me all day? Why?" I spit question after question.

"I wanted to rest in a bed other than a hospital bed, is that okay with you?" He replies.

"Okay so is this where you are planning on staying or what is going on?" I cut right to the chase.

He moves away from me and I can tell something is going on. And I don't understand why he is being so weird towards me.

"Tessa...I have to get back to work and my life in London." He says.

And don't get me wrong I knew this was coming but not so soon. I knew he had a life that wasn't here. A career that wasn't here. But I guess just once I wanted to be put before any of that. Or whatever is going on in Hardin Scott's head.

"So what does that mean Hardin?" I question slowly raising my voice.

He does hesitate and he takes a breath. " I booked a flight for tomorrow afternoon."

"I'm sorry you did what?" I quickly question.

I'm just fed up with his shit. I gave up my fucking life for him. Him. The man who left me 5 years ago. And he's fucking ready to do it again.

"Tess...I'm sorry." He says as he finally tries to move in closer and I push away.

"What is wrong with you?" I question hitting his chest as he still tries to come closer to me.

"I know you did what you did with Easton...and I never asked you to do that. And...i...I" he says as I interrupt.

"You...you ... you what, you're a fucking asshole" I scream (damn did that feel good to say)

The look on his face is pure shock. And mine too. But it's true.

"I mean if that's how you feel then sounds like me leaving is a good thing." He says.

I shake my head and turn away. "Why?....why even come back into my life if this was going to be the outcome?"I ask.

"I don't know." He replies brushing me off.

"You know what you can have your ticket out. I'm not forcing you to stay. To be the man I want you to be. To stay for once—For me. To put me first. I'm done Hardin, for good this time. You turned out to be exactly who I thought you were" I yell.

"And what's that?" He asks.

"A damn coward" I reply as I go to leave.

His hand covers the door. And I could tell for once my words hurt him.

"Hardin, move!" I yell.

"I'm not letting you leave like this." He replies.

"Why....you always do!" I yell again.

He pushes his back up against the door and slides down so he is sitting in front of it.

"Can you just sit for one second?" He asks as he pats the floor.

I reluctantly agree and sit next to him on the floor.