Chapter 33

Hardin

Going up the elevator to Vance's I don't know exactly what I am going to say. But I need to know why he kept the note from Tessa, and why he thought it was his place to do so.

When I get off the elevator I don't recognize the woman sitting behind the receptionist desk. 

I decide to walk past her. "Excuse me, sir!! Sir, you can't just walk back there....I am calling security!!!" she yells.

I find his office, and walk right in. He stands right up from his desk.

"Hardin, I am surprised to see you here. How are you doing?" He says as he reaches his handout for a handshake in which I deny.  

Security barges through the door. "Mr. Vance is everything okay, do you want me to take him out of here!" the officer says.

"No, that won't be necessary." he replies.

 I sit down in the chair and position myself leaned back.... I ask "So what is the deal with the letter?" 

"Look at you Hardin, you have been back what 3 days, and this girl is already driving you crazy." he replies.

And he quickly follows up with "I know Tessa thinks I was protecting her from you, but I was protecting you from her." 

"What are you even talking about?" I reply slightly raising my voice.

"Your mum told me about London, and everything that happened, and I can tell you are drunk right now. And like I said it's only been 3 days, and this is the kind of shape you are in" he says. 

"It still wasn't your place to keep it from her, she went on thinking I never said goodbye." i reply.

And fuckkkk. How does Vance know I am drunk right now. I clearly am not good at hiding this. And he for sure is going to tell Ken, my mum, Tessa and who ever else. Because he will tell people that, but not do the one thing I asked him to do. 

"Hardin you need to go to a meeting, and get help." says Vance.

"No. I'm fine. And you are the last person who should be telling me what to do!" I yell, and in old Hardin fashion throw all his papers off his desk.

Vance steps back, but is also not surprised either.

He pauses for a second. "Yea, you are right Hardin, clearly you are fine....you storming in here with blood shot eyes, and yelling and destroying my office is you being fine. Your dad was going on and on about how you have changed and he was obviously wrong."

Is he serious right now....and did he really think that last comment wouldn't really set me off.

Without thinking I grab him by his suit jacket and push him against the wall. I want to hit him so bad. But instead punch the wall next to his face. He flinches and pushes me away. 

I turn around and see the security officer standing at the doorway. I back away some more and tell him "it's fine, I'm leaving." I immediately realize the throbbing coming from my hand, and think it's probably broken. 

When I walk out of the door of Vance's building. I notice a bar across the street calling my name, and I head in.